Is it a waste of time to 'freely associate' making single word empty notes linking

Im new to Obsidian and PKM, and im just experiementing but i find myself pretty aimlessly making empty notes linking them in free associations and watching the clusters grow.

Is this a waste of time? anyone else had this experience or feeling? thx

1 Like

I used to do a similar type of thing. One possible workaround to avoid overdoing it and painting yourself into a very busy corner is to use tags for this instead. Perhaps even nested tags. By using tags, you have the ability to toggle off/on all these single word nodes when in graph view. There is also a distinction between tags and links if you use Dataview. I mention nested tags because if you nested all of these experimental one word tags within a parent tag, you could filter out just that parent tag from the graph view when you wanted to hide your one-worders. This way you wouldn’t have to toggle off all tags to reduce the busyness.

All in all, I think what you are doing is helpful. Back when I was doing this type of thing, I created this Plugin idea: Click word to automatically create link, note, and links out of all word occurrences in vault etc

Good luck!

1 Like

Hard to say. If you’re getting something out of it, it might not be a waste of time. Sounds to me like a sort of doodling or mental exercise.

1 Like

If it will likely stay Empty then I will just make a tag, otherwise if I have something I will want to reference then I will make a note and populate it later.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.