iOS Shortcuts - Share your ideas!

Could you share your shortcuts? pls

It doesnt append url only write title

@ankushg This looks useful, but I don’t understand it. Can you provide instructions for how to use this meta-shortcut, or an example of a shortcut that uses it?

I can’t share the shortcuts because they contain too much private info and relate to my unique setup, but I’ll explain them.

Shortcut I

• Scan in ToolBox Pro
  • Save output to clipboard
  • Open next shortcut

Shortcut II

• Resize clipboard to 1200 pixels
  • Convert resized image to a medium quality JPEG
  • Create a title variable with the current date in ISO format and by asking for a description
  • Set name of converted image to title
  • Choose from menu to save image in appropriate Obsidian folder using ToolBox Pro (I use attachment folders within each project so this saves me from having to refile every image)
  • I then form the markdown note by creating a text snippet that has same name as the image (but md instead of jpeg) and appends text to that file with a link to the jpeg that looks like this: ![[XTitleVariable.jpeg|600]] (the number after the pipe sets the width of the image when rendering on a larger screen) and a date tag made from the current date; the file is created in a temp folder in the Shortcuts folder
  • Toolbox Pro moves the file into my Obsidian InBox
  • The temp file is then deleted
  • I then use URL encode to create a URL friendly version fo the title
  • Next, I append that URL encoded text to obsidian://open?valt=, to create form an X-callback URL
  • I then use scripting to open Obsidian to allow for the new files to be indexed
  • I use scripting to open Shortcuts to finish the shortcut
  • The last thing is to execute the X-callback URL in an open in Safari command, which leads to the note being opened in Obsidian
1 Like

Inspired by the shortcuts shared in this post, I created a shortcut that works in the following steps:

1. Input the note content
    1. The note content can be divided into new lines which can be used in the next step.
  2. Choose if one wants to format the note content as list items
    1. If yes, then each line of the content is treated as a list item.
  3. Enter note title
    1. If one inputs some title, then the final note title/filename would be something like title - 202106181457
    2. Otherwise, the final title would be 202106181457.
  4. Choose if one wants to add tags into the note
    1. Like the note content, tags are separated by new lines.
    2. All spaces in each line would be removed, so Tag Test would become #TagText.
    3. One does not need to input # when typing tags.
  5. Choose if one wants to insert note links
    1. One can select if one wants to insert one or multiple pre-defined note link(s) from a list.
    2. The selected note link(s) would be inserted into the note.
  6. Choose if one wants to insert clipboard content to the note
    1. The clipboard content would first show up in a pop-up window.
    2. If yes, then the clipboard content would be inserted as > Clipboard content.
  7. The newly created note would be opened automatically in Obsidian

For the shortcut above to work, no third-party apps or Obsidian plugins are required, and the Obsidian URI is used to create the new note. The syntax is like obsidian://new?vault=my%20vault&name=my%20note, as noted here: Using obsidian URI.

Also, all the text input (including the old clipboard content, if selected) would be copied to the new clipboard, in case of text loss that may be caused by shortcut running failure.

I find the insertion of note links very useful for organizing these (inbox) notes. For instance, I may select two note links like [[Inbox]] and [[Book]] for some (inbox) notes. Then I can use the plugin dataview to show all (inbox) notes that contains the link [[Book]] and/or [[Inbox]] when improving/organizing these notes on PC.

1 Like

Hi! This is my “webclipper”. It doesn’t set the date to the zettelkasten format, but I guess that it’s not hard to do.

What it does

• Takes the url from the input
  • Clean trackers & google amp
  • Get the article from the url & convert it to markdown
  • Create a file named “article title”.md in a favorite folder inside my vault

Requires Advanced URI plugin and the free features of Toolbox pro.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/9f602f1a5f3b4c639f81bcc4d573220c

9 Likes

Is there a way to append to a specific note in my vault or to my Daily Note?

This won’t launch, I’m afraid.

Do you get an error?

Yes, you can use Advanced Obsidian URI.

Example from the author:
Append “Hello World” to today’s daily note .

obsidian://advanced-uri?vault=<your-vault>&daily=true&data=Hello%20World&mode=append

2 Likes

I have no access to obsidian mobile, so I build myself (with the help of a reddit user) a shortcut to add tasks to my obsidian vault. I use schemar/obsidian-tasks to manage my task.

My shortcut open a text input for the task name, then let me choose a due date and a context. In obsidian, the task is formatted correctly for Obsidian tasks, with the chosen due date and on the right context page. I use an extra page per context and the task will show up at the end of the page.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/13e5721b189a4dffabde3586f02f3d88

Also I have a simple speech-to-text shortcut. I dictate a note and the text will show up in my obsidian vault:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/027bcaf99dcd438ab877576dfc30b64a

2 Likes

Here’s my shortcut that takes your clipboard, lets you add a title, and saves it to your vault: Shortcuts

It requires Toolbox Pro, and you’ll need to bookmark the icloud folder your vault is in. To do this, go to Toolbox Pro->Settings->Folder bookmarks->The “+” sign in the upper-right-hand corner. Then, in the shortcut itself, change the file path in the Toolbox Pro block so that it matches your folder. This gets around the sandboxing issues with the shortcuts app.

4 Likes

Here is a clipboard to zettelkasten workflow that I have found especially helpful for playing with handwriting in Goodnotes. Maybe of use to others. (As I say in the MPU post, any ideas how to simplify/speed up appreciated!).

2 Likes

Federico, is there a way to see a list of your posts in this forum? I’m new here but know your input is valuable. Thank you. Craig

If you click on a user, then tap the little profile that shows up, you’ll be taken to their profile page. That page lists topics created, posts made, and so on.

1 Like

Can you share this shortcut?

Thank you.

Created this shortcut that will add any web article or YT video to your vault. Videos are embedded.

Also, importing this shortcut will add support for Apple News articles to the above shortcut.

Paste this CSS in your snippets or theme to add responsiveness to your YouTube embeds:

/* ----- RESPONSIVE IFRAMES ----- */
.responsive-iframe center {
  position: relative;
  overflow: hidden;
  width: 100%;
  padding-top: 56.25%; /* 16:9 Aspect Ratio (divide 9 by 16 = 0.5625) */
}

.responsive-iframe center iframe {
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
  bottom: 0;