iOS Shortcuts - Share your ideas!

Yes, you can use Advanced Obsidian URI.

Example from the author:
Append “Hello World” to today’s daily note .

obsidian://advanced-uri?vault=<your-vault>&daily=true&data=Hello%20World&mode=append

2 Likes

I have no access to obsidian mobile, so I build myself (with the help of a reddit user) a shortcut to add tasks to my obsidian vault. I use schemar/obsidian-tasks to manage my task.

My shortcut open a text input for the task name, then let me choose a due date and a context. In obsidian, the task is formatted correctly for Obsidian tasks, with the chosen due date and on the right context page. I use an extra page per context and the task will show up at the end of the page.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/13e5721b189a4dffabde3586f02f3d88

Also I have a simple speech-to-text shortcut. I dictate a note and the text will show up in my obsidian vault:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/027bcaf99dcd438ab877576dfc30b64a

2 Likes

Here’s my shortcut that takes your clipboard, lets you add a title, and saves it to your vault: Shortcuts

It requires Toolbox Pro, and you’ll need to bookmark the icloud folder your vault is in. To do this, go to Toolbox Pro->Settings->Folder bookmarks->The “+” sign in the upper-right-hand corner. Then, in the shortcut itself, change the file path in the Toolbox Pro block so that it matches your folder. This gets around the sandboxing issues with the shortcuts app.

4 Likes

Here is a clipboard to zettelkasten workflow that I have found especially helpful for playing with handwriting in Goodnotes. Maybe of use to others. (As I say in the MPU post, any ideas how to simplify/speed up appreciated!).

2 Likes

Federico, is there a way to see a list of your posts in this forum? I’m new here but know your input is valuable. Thank you. Craig

If you click on a user, then tap the little profile that shows up, you’ll be taken to their profile page. That page lists topics created, posts made, and so on.

1 Like

Can you share this shortcut?

Thank you.

Created this shortcut that will add any web article or YT video to your vault. Videos are embedded.

Also, importing this shortcut will add support for Apple News articles to the above shortcut.

Paste this CSS in your snippets or theme to add responsiveness to your YouTube embeds:

/* ----- RESPONSIVE IFRAMES ----- */
.responsive-iframe center {
  position: relative;
  overflow: hidden;
  width: 100%;
  padding-top: 56.25%; /* 16:9 Aspect Ratio (divide 9 by 16 = 0.5625) */
}

.responsive-iframe center iframe {
  position: absolute;
  top: 0;
  left: 0;
  bottom: 0;
  right: 0;
  width: 100%;
  height: 100%;
}
2 Likes

Where is the link to your shortcut?

Would like to know this too

@PJJPtx @slyfox Sorry about the late reply. I found the shortcut I created was not very reliable to use, probably because it contains a few sub-shortcuts that are used to format the text. Therefore, I decided not to share it for now.

Recently, I created another shortcut for adding tasks that are managed by the following plugin: schemar/obsidian-tasks: Task management for the Obsidian knowledge base..

The shortcut: Shortcuts

For this shortcut to work:

This shortcut works as follows:

• One inputs the task description.
  • One sets a due date for the task.
    • The due date is a number that is relative to today, e.g. 0 for today, 1 for tomorrow, etc.
    • If the default value -1 is used, then there would be no due date.
  • One selects if one wants to add a tag or not to the task.

After this, one can query tasks with something like the following:

not done
due on today
description includes #Work
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing this. I used your automation as the foundation for my own shortcut that is just for clipping youtube videos. It automatically pulls in the name of the video and makes it the name of your note to save you from having to type it. It also pulls in the channel name and link and thumbnail.

Please feel free to add the functionality to your shortcut, as it covers more use cases. Wouldn’t have been able to create my shortcut without yours as a starting point.

4 Likes

@arminta

2 Likes

[iOS] Send Content to Obsidian without opening Obsidian

Recently I stated to using Obsidian Mobile on iPadOS and I wanted a way to send text/urls to an specific note inObsidian without opening Obsidia:

• I use Obsidian with iCloud Drive;

After a long time researching, I find a way to do this using two apps:

• Shortcuts App
  • ToolBox Pro (premium version required)

Fundamentals

To modify a note/file that is located at an folder in iCloud Drive you need to create “connection/link” between the note and iPadOS. That’s exactly what ToolBox Pro does.

Append/prepend text to the note will use this “link” as reference/anchor.

Here is a guide:

Part A: Create Files Link

1- On Toolbox Pro App, add the shortcut Create Files Link to you Shortcuts App

• Click on the icon on the top-right of the screen

Examples>>Files & Folders>>>Create Files Link

2- Run the new Shortcut Create Files Link to choose with Obsidian Note will be used to receive content

• Just follow the instructions provided by the shortcut;
  • Choose a file/note from your vault;
  • After this step, your obsidian note is a Bookmarked File with a name defined by you (we will need this name in the next part)

Part B: Create a Shortcut

1- On Shortcuts App, create a new Shortcut;

2- From the list action, select Edit Bookmark Files;

3- Select the Bookmarked file name that you created in Part A . In my example is ObsidianINP;

4- Select the Additional parameters as you wish

Part C - Adding Share Sheet Parameters

Add these two actions to use this Shortcut with iPadOS Share Sheet

I hope this is useful to someone :slight_smile:

Have a great day!

2 Likes

I was doing something similar until iOS 15 came out. Files actions in iOS 15 can actually replace the need for Toolbox Pro, FYI!

E.g., This “Make Note” shortcut asks for input, then appends it to your daily note as a task, all without having to open the app.

4 Likes

Thanks for the information!

1 Like

I am looking for a way to open a specific document in my Obsidian vault. I feel like this should be an easy task, but for the life of me I cannot get it to work. Essentially what I have is a folder with web-clipped articles that are converted to markdown documents. I want to have a menu pop-up where I can see what documents are in that folder, choose the document I would like to read, and have it open in Obsidian. I have figured out how to show the list of documents to read but when I choose one it just opens Obsidian to the last thing I was working on, not the document I picked. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I had the same problem and wasn’t able to really solve it.
As a workaround I’m now opening the document with 1Writer.
Since the document lives in Working Copy the changes get synced to Obsidian.
Not the perfect solution but it works.

I do now anyway all file modifications to files in Working Copy not Obsidian because the URL callbacks were very unreliable and Working Copy often stops syncing the folder.
This way the true state at least lives in git and I have less problems with overwriting changes.

This shortcut will do what you ask, @marshallbeyer / @Nebucatnetzer:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a14769974ed04e7eafe9a57f8e7f482f

Obsidian’s a bit weird when it comes to “open file in Obsidian”-type actions. So, you have to use Obsidian’s URL scheme. That’s what the shortcut does.

5 Likes