Insert previous daily note's tasks without linking to it

What I’m trying to do

I want my daily note to include a to do list, comprised of yesterday’s unfinished tasks. However, I don’t want this list to link back to the previous daily note - I want its items to be unclickable, like a regular to do list (where only the checkbox is clickable)

Things I have tried

My current template includes this dataview query:

Task
WHERE !completed
AND file.day = date(today) - dur(1day)

It brings in the correct tasks, but they are added as links, and when clicked they lead to the previous day’s daily note.
Any way to write the leftover tasks as a standalone to do list?

To clarify:

1. I’m using Templater, Periodic Notes and Dataview for my daily note
  2. My date format is YYYY-MM-DD, which is also the daily note name format

What about using the Tasks plugin?

Basically;

```tasks
not done
due before today
```

(with some setup if you’re not using the Tasks plugin).

You could also do something like

```tasks
not done
due before 2023-04-17
```

the date can be added by Templater.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I disabled the tasks plugin because this menu annoyed me, and still displays when I toggle off auto-suggests. Kind of a deal breaker for me, is there a way to disable it? Otherwise I’ll need another solution…

Pretty sure you can disable it.

I didn’t test it, but that looks to be the setting you’re looking for.

I find it super useful when I need it and quite annoying when I don’t, so I understand where you’re coming from. However, I leave it on for those times I do need it. Mostly because I’m too lazy to remember the emojis used.

Seems that there is a bug with Tasks plugin because it ignores both this toggle and the bars under it, and still auto-suggests even with 0 characters input.

I’m also looking for how to filter its results to only include the tasks from yesterday’s daily note - otherwise it multiplies every day to include the same unfinished tasks…

Seems that there is a bug with Tasks plugin because it ignores both this toggle and the bars under it, and still auto-suggests even with 0 characters input.

Did you close/re-open Obsidian after making the changes? I know Tasks is specific about that one.

I’m also looking for how to filter its results to only include the tasks from yesterday’s daily note - otherwise it multiplies every day to include the same unfinished tasks…

I think this will get you there, as long as you have due dates set.

```tasks
not done
due 2023-04-17
```

(FYI - I’m doing this from memory, so my syntax could be incorrect)

Auto-suggest - you’re right, closing and re-opening the app worked :raised_hands:

Filters - I actually just got it to work with this:

not done
path includes <% tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", -1, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>

This way, Templater creates every daily note with tasks filtered to be grabbed only from yesterday’s daily note.

I’m marking it solved, thanks for pointing me down the relevant path!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.