Insert/Embed other file formats like .xlsx and .docx (but not limited to) in addition to pdf and images

Reposted for clarity.

Linking files other than the supported ones will work in 0.10.10+
On click, the files will be opened outside obsidian with their default editor.

Embedding will add box with the filename & link. Again, you can click on the link to open the file using the default handler (there is no “translusion” of unsupported files).

13 Likes

Thank you so much for building this. As the OP/requester, it makes me so happy that a feature I requested was built. As a user, it is super helpful.

I am one of those people who have tried a lot of different editors. And, none other than obsidian (in 10 years) has delivered features at such an incredible pace, nor has been so receptive to customer feedback. And, thanks for that. :raised_hands:t3:

If there is anything I can do to support you now and in the future, please let me know.

3 Likes

Obsidian just keeps getting better and better. Thanks.

ce

2 Likes

however convert obsidian md file into PDF will loss outline strcture.

Now that obsidian supports Word, Excel, etc. documents inside the vault, I’m wondering if there any potential problems or pitfalls to storing them in there, particularly on the Mac, iPad, and iPhone?

I mean, it’s just another folder from the operating system perspective, right? I’m not running any special risk of data loss, corruption, or lost documents?

The only catch I know of is a mobile bug: if and only if you’re using iCloud Drive to store any mobile-synced vaults, you can’t drag and drop into the folder, and sometimes I’ve run into save issues (e.g., Word will force me into a Save as… and make me pick a folder outside of the iCloud Drive/Obsidian app container.

Good to know, Ryan. Thanks!

I haven’t been doing as much Microsoft Word work on my iPad or iPhone as I thought I might be, so this is not an issue — at least not yet.

Sorry, I should’ve been clearer: this also affects desktop, but only for vaults stored in iCloud Drive/Obsidian (e.g., for syncing with mobile).

Thanks. On the Mac, I drop Word docs on an index note to add them to the vault.

2 Likes