Indenting using TAB key and then leaving a blank line in the indented block automatically parses the text that follows the text like a code block

Steps to reproduce

Steps:
open a new note in edit mode
press tab key
type some text (the text would be indented)
press enter twice
type some text again (this text would be parsed like a code block (red colour font in the default theme) which is not what is expected)

Expected result

Actual result

Environment

• Operating system: windows 10
  • Obsidian version:0.8.12

Additional information

It’s not what you expect but this is part of the markdown spec.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s one of the markdown deficiencies for normal writing.

Only way of dealing with it is through CSS or conversion/print setup.

Many professional writers do it anyway leaving publishers free to do indent or no indent according to house styles.

1 Like

This one is a major friction point for using the outline feature. Not only that half of the imported MD from Roam is now in code, every time I am trying to tab together a list for visual organization, I end up writing code. Why not leave the coders the four spaces and give us outliners the tab key completely?

6 Likes

Mat, have you ever found a solution to the problem you described?
I’m struggling with the same: Every note I import (mainly from Bear, which uses a “light” version of markdown) ends up having tons of code blocks because of the way Obsidian’s markdown is parsing indents and empty lines.

Sorry @chrsle, especially when it comes to imports, there doesn’t seem to be a good solution. Also, it appears that Obsidian is not going to adapt in that respect, as they are going to stick to MD orthodox markup. There are only a couple of options

1. Pay attention to this in Bear or any other source of text
  2. Use Obsidian instead of Bear for creation
  3. what sometimes works nicely - simple Copy/paste from Bear to Obsidian! Maybe the outlining plugin also helped here? Try that definitely, as it is a nice addition, anyways!