Incredibly Weird Bug, Anyone Else Seen This?

I’ve been using Obsidian for a few days now, and it’s an incredibly useful tool for organizing my story and character notes. Today was a day I planned on being a writing day, but a few sentences into my script, my entire computer crashed. I figured it was my computer that was bugging until I opened Obsidian back up and my text had turned into a series of red dots. I thought this meant all of the text was deleted, but because the graph is still visible, I think the text is just corrupted somehow.

I’m not a tech person and have no idea how to fix this and whether or not this is actually Obsidian’s fault or some kind of virus. The only other thing I did while writing was take two screenshots, and I don’t think that could have caused this glitch. My computer is a Dell G5 15 if that’s important. I can rewrite what I wrote–it wasn’t complicated or anything–but I just want to make sure this doesn’t happen again in the middle of a more polished or completed story. I’d like to know if this is an experience anyone else has had. Sorry if this has already been brought up, but in searching things like “red bug” and etc, I couldn’t see any similar reports.

Update, actually. I copied the red text and tried to paste it, which made the graph disappear. I’ve deleted the note now. I think I’ll work on Google Docs until I have some sort of answer to this, just to be safe.

Your computer crashed while obsidian was saving the file and the file was corrupted.
If you have File recovery plugin enabled, you can do try to recover an older version of it in settings >File Recovery>Snapshots

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.