Increase spacing in math equations

When writing equations, the variables, symbols and numbers look squished together, making it hard to read. At least i would prefer to increase the spacing. Do you know if there is an easy way to do this? Here is an example of what it looks like. I can also mention that I’m a beginner writing equations, so I’m unsure if I should write in a different way to get more space between symbols. Or maybe this is just how it’s supposed to look?

I’ve only played around with MathJax a bit, but some customization can be done with a CSS snippet:

.math-block > mjx-container[jax="CHTML"] {
  font-size: 1.3em;
  color: var(--color-pink);
}

The individual parts can be adjusted within the code itself. I tried a few and they seem to work in Obsidian.

Screenshot 2023-05-08 075250

• \tiny, \scriptsize, \footnotesize, \small, \normalsize (default), \large, \Large (capital “L”), \LARGE (all caps), \huge, \Huge (capital “H”)

In a math environment, LaTeX ignores the spaces you type and puts in the spacing that it thinks is best. LaTeX formats mathematics the way it’s done in mathematics texts. If you want different spacing, LaTeX provides the following four commands for use in math mode:

1. \; - a thick space
2. \: - a medium space
3. \, - a thin space
4. \! - a negative thin space
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.