Inconsistent Image Links

I’m not sure if this is something I’m doing wrong or a bug so asking here first.

Version 0.10.10

Issue: Some images links use the path to the folder whilst other only include the image filename. This means that some image links do not work in external apps (e.g. Epsilon Notes on Android, Marktext on Linux), whilst others do. All images are stored in the same folder in the vault
Examples:

1. Link = but path is Vault/Notebook/_resources. This cannot be resolved by other apps.
  2. . The path is the same as above, Vault/Notebook/_resources. This image is can be resolved by other apps. I think this was imported from Joplin.

How is Obsidian able to resolve both? Where is the rest of the path stored?

How do I ensure that this is consistent and that my notes + attachments are portable?

Thanks

shortest path: if the filename is unique, we use just that.

You can configure how the links are created in the settings

Thanks.

I assume you mean the ‘New Link Format’ option? I would prefer my wiki links to be the shortest path but attachments relative. Is that possible?

Is there a way to update previously created links?

no and no, there are feature request for both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your help.

I assume that its also not possible to specify that images use markdown links rather than wiki links? I’m not able to get Epsilon to work with native Obsidian image links. Wiki links to .md files are OK when following this post but not images.