In subfolder under current folder option is not saved unless manually entering Subfolder name (default value "attachments" is ignored)

This is a reboot of In subfolder under current folder except it happens on PC

Steps to reproduce

1. Open Settings > File & Links > and make sure “Default location for new attachments” is set to a value other than “In subfolder under current folder”, such as “Vault folder”

1. Set “Default location for new attachments” to “In subfolder under current folder”

Check that “Subfolder name” shows “attachments” in grey. This looks like a default value but in fact, the actual value is still empty.

1. Close Settings

2. Reopen Settings

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Y

Expected result

Settings have stayed, “attachments” in grey should be used at backup value

Actual result

“Default location for new attachments” was changed to “Same folder as current file” (even if it wasn’t the previous value) and therefore “Subfolder name” option is hidden (if you try step 2., it will be filled with grey “attachments” again)

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.13
Operating system: #96-Ubuntu SMP Wed Sep 20 08:23:49 UTC 2023 5.15.0-86-generic
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

My guess is that the greyed out “attachments” is just a hint, not a true default value as we might expect. Therefore, then closing the setting, because “Subfolder name” is considered empty, the setting is reverted to “Same folder as current file” which is the closest.

It should either be made clear that “attachments” is just a hint, by mentioning it in option tooltip but not in the field, or it should really be a default value.

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Steps to reproduce

I am changing Settings/Files and links/Default location for new attachments from “Same folder as current file” to “In subfolder under current folder”.
If a close the settings menu and open it again, the setting shows as “Same folder as current file” not reflecting the previous chage made.

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I tried both in the sandbox vault and in my regular vault with default theme, no CSS snippets, and in restricted mode, with the same results.

Expected result

I expected to have the setting of the default location for any new attachments changed back to be in a subfolder under current folder. I had used this setting previously without issues.

Actual result

The setting remains as "Same folder as current file" and new attachments are being saved as per that setting.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.1.0: Mon Oct 9 21:27:24 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.41.9~6/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 23.1.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Base theme: light
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 22
Plugins enabled: 22
1: Importer v1.5.6
2: Tag Wrangler v0.6.1
3: Minimal Theme Settings v7.3.1
4: Calendar v1.5.10
5: Tasks v5.4.0
6: Footnote Shortcut v0.1.3
7: Longform v2.0.4
8: Outliner v4.8.0
9: Mind Map v1.1.0
10: Markdown Table Editor v0.3.1
11: LanguageTool Integration v0.3.6
12: Style Settings v1.0.7
13: Typewriter Scroll v0.2.2
14: Omnisearch v1.20.2
15: Iconize v2.8.1
16: Readwise Official v2.0.1
17: Text Format v2.2.10
18: Dataview v0.5.64
19: cMenu v1.1.2
20: Editing Toolbar v2.4.0
21: Copilot v2.4.6
22: Smart Connections v1.6.47

RECOMMENDATIONS:
Community plugins: for bugs, please first try updating all your plugins to latest. If still not fixed, please try to make the issue happen in the Sandbox Vault or disable community plugins.

Additional information

which subfolder under current folder did you set?

Yup, I found what was the problem. I was assuming the setting had a default value and was leaving it like that (attachment greyed out :grimacing:):

… when in reality a folder name must be speciifed. Which I did and now it is working.

Sorry about that, I guess stupid mistakes are part of learning a new tool.

Thanks, this will be fixed in the next release!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.