In Medicine we need the simple, yet enough. I need your help

Hi everyone, I’m new to obsidian, but a veteran Anki user.

I’m a medical student and I want to use Obsidian for note taking purposes (no daily thoughts and calendar uses, no spaced repetition, no coding… just medical/science notes for organization purposes: I’ll use the notes for self reference to create anki flashcards on some of the specific topics)

I’m looking for a minimalist set up (I’d like keeping amount of plug-ins to a minimum), yet I don’t want to miss on important functionalities that some of them may provide (like mind map).

I think that clarity is very important: simplicity yet having enough functions to work with are essential.

I also am trying to find a theme that is simple yet powerful.

For example, I really miss having the underline function that I use on all other word processing programs (even anki), but also highlighting, and colored text.

What would be your recommendations?

my current list of plugins is

• advanced tables

• mind map

• note refactor.

obs: first time posting here, sorry if my post seems straight out of reddit (it is).

1 Like

Howdy, I suggest you to use templater.
For example I use it for → microbiology, mkrobes, viruses, fungi all have different templates. I also combined it with dataview.

---
Topic: <% tp.file.title %>
Allies: [Drugs, Ilac]
Tags: [Medicine/Mikrobiyoloji]
Creation Date: <% tp.file.creation_date() %>
Modification Date: Saturday, February 12th 2022, 5:04:25 pm
CSSCLASS:
Type: TemelBilim, KlinikBilim
---

# Genel Bilgiler
Domain::
Aile::
Class::
Genus:: <% tp.file.title %>
Metabolizma::
CellWall::
Kapsul::
Boyama::
Besiyeri::
Kaynak::
InkübasyonPeriyodu::
ProdromPeriyodu::
Bulasi::
VirulanceFaktorleri::
Belirgin Özelligi::
Tedavi::

# Klinik

# Tedavi

# Extra Notlar
---
Topic: <% tp.file.title %>
Allies: [Drugs, Ilac]
Tags: [Medicine/Mikrobiyoloji]
Creation Date: <% tp.file.creation_date() %>
Modification Date: Saturday, February 12th 2022, 5:04:25 pm
CSSCLASS:
Type: TemelBilim, KlinikBilim
---

# Genel Bilgiler
Domain::
Aile::
Class::
Genus:: <% tp.file.title %>
EnergyMetab::
CellWall::
Capsule::
Grampainting::
Agar::
Source::
IncubationPeriod::

Spread::
VirulanceFactorsi::
importantProperty::
Treatment::

# clinic

# Treatment

# Extra notes

You can also do this for pharma. I also strongly suggest you to create links as much as possible. Even you have not created its file yet.
Flowcharts are very important for medical ddx. I use mermaid, but you can use excalidraw as well.

I highlighter it hs different colors as well .
Sliding panes also good I love it. Dynamic table of contents also good. I have template for diseases. I have put {{{ToC}}} .
I also use stille, it is good it shadows the lines that you are not working on.
Text transporter anothr good plugin, if you have bunch of notes in one file, it lets you copy faster into files you want.

The one thing I miss is linking the words between each other. Sometimes, you cannot decide where to open a new file or not. And sometimes you cant create a file for that word because it is located in the definition of another file.

I hope this helps a bit. Cheers

2 Likes

This seems very helpful and I will surely implement your recommendations! Thank you so much!

but I must say that since I’m very new to all of this, most of the details went completely over my head!

I understand that. come to discord channel. I can help you step by step

1 Like

Nothing to do with plugins: Your organization scheme will be pretty important to use this as you move forward. I don’t know where you are in your training, but you’ll get to a point where biochemistry or histology become less important to you, but particular disease processes or presenting complaints are more relevant. Decide on this scheme now so you can build it as you move forward.

For example say you use tags, and you’re studying asthma. You may have #asthma #pathophysiology-class and later you learn about it in a different context #asthma #pediatrics, it’ll be nice to be able to bring all this information together.

You can also use wiki-links, [[asthma]], [[pulmonary diseases]], [[wheezing]], [[shortness of breath]], such that when you’re studying a different disease, you’ll be able to make the links to the common things: [[congestive heart failure]], [[cardiac diseases]], [[wheezing]], [[shortness of breath]]. Then when you see a patient with shortness of breath or wheezing, you can be led to both of these complaints.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.