In-line Dataview calls fail to properly render in Edit Mode (Live Preview)

Things I have tried

Searched all over the forums.

What I’m trying to do

Can anyone help me to understand how to to make the in-line dataview call work in Edit mode?

I spend 99.9% of my time in Edit Mode, with Live Preview enabled; I would like the text block to render these values in Edit mode as they do in Reading Mode.

Notes:

• All references to Edit mode are “Edit (Live Preview) mode”.
  • I have the plugin Supercharged Links enabled in these screenshots, hence the icons.
  • I have disabled Supercharged Links and it makes no difference.

Troubleshooting And Issue Breakdown

I have a file, Sally Smith:

Spouse:: [[John Smith]]
Children:: [[Elsa Smith]], [[Ed SMith]]
Organization:: [[Vineyard Church]]
#Person

I am trying to pull various keys’ values out of that file using an in-line dataview block via this Text block:

[[Sally Smith]]'s husband is: `= [[Sally Smith]].Spouse`. 
Her children are `= [[Sally Smith]].Children`. 
She lives in `=[[Sally Smith]].Location`, and works at `=[[Sally Smith]].Organization`.`.

Text Block - Screenshot in Edit Mode:

Text Block - Screenshot in Reading Mode:

If I pull these same key/value pairs with a block of dataview code it works in Edit mode:

```dataview
TABLE Spouse, Children, Location, Organization
FROM #Person
WHERE file.name = "Sally Smith"

I discovered quite by accident that is does work in Edit mode if I put the in-line dataview call inside a callout. So I know Obsidian can do this in Edit mode:

>[!Callout] 
>[[Sally Smith]]'s husband is: `= [[Sally Smith]].Spouse`. 
Her children are `= [[Sally Smith]].Children`. 
She lives in `=[[Sally Smith]].Location`, and works at `=[[Sally Smith]].Organization`.

Live Preview is a kind of… (well, it’s best I don’t express my opinion about that “fake” mode).
Inline queries are problematic in LP. But recently dataview code was improved and it works “more or less” (with some refresh issues).
So, I guess you need to update your dataview version. (as usual, plugins update is important)

:headDesk:

Never have I written so many words to have such a simple solution. That solved it.

Thank you, @mnvwvnm !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.