Improve single file find (search) by adding selection, casing, whole-word, regexp

It would be nice if the local (single) file search was improved to support:

• selection: search only in selected text
  • word case: sensitive or insensitive
  • whole word match or not
  • regexp: …

Some of these are currently covered by plugins.

14 Likes

@WhiteNoise, I don’t know why your change in ‘technique’ as a Mod from simply responding to posts to also suggesting feature requests, but I for one sure do appreciate it. Gives me a chance to Like the suggestion/idea and then Watch for how others respond. Keep it up.:wink:

1 Like

I’d be shocked if this wasn’t requested somewhere, but if it has been, I can’t find it.

Use case or problem

I need to search and replace on a case-sensitive basis. I need to replace “his” with “my” and “His” with “My.”

Proposed solution

Add a checkbox that allows to find & replace dialog to opt in to case-sensitive search.

Current workaround (optional)

At the moment, I search for lowercase and then manually replace when it finds the uppercase version.

4 Likes

I am also surprised no-one seems to miss this. I just had to fix up a note, where the character encoding has been messed up, somehow. The only way was to manually search and replace each crumbled word. However, sometimes the words are beginning a sentence and start upper case. Just to mention a use-case…

A big +1 from my side. In the meantime:
For a hacky workaround see here.
@wmbenedetto: I know it’s a bit late, but there is a plugin called “Regex Find/Replace” that uses case sensitive search by default.

2 Likes

If I hit Cmd + F within a note, this pops up:

It doesn’t let you search within the current note case-sensitively. Can we add a “Match case” toggle to this search dialog?

This is particularly useful for Find and Replace, which I often do within a note. I usually need to match exactly by case to be able to Replace All quickly.

Edit: Originally posted here, Case sensitive note search. Moved here as duplicate.

+1 to this feature.

It also be great if it shows how many matched results in search. I need that for my Thesaurus file to see if I have duplicated words.

Original topic for show number of matches in Cmd + F

I don’t understand why this basic feature hasn’t been added since the first versions? For both search and replace, such functionality is a must. Third-party plugins can certainly be used, but they don’t have the same visual flexibility and apply to all text at once.