Importing an existing vault with custom metadata format

Hi,

I’ve got an existing tool that uses a slightly different file format. Each note has a filename YYYY-MM-DD-HH-MM-SS.md and contains the header:

---
created: YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS-ZZ:00
modified: YYYY-MM-DDTHH:MM:SS-ZZ:00
---

# Title

I’m trying to figure out if there’s a way to make Obsidian work with this format, or barring that, find a common format that both new and old tools will read. (E.g., I can put the title in the YAML metadata if that would help.)

As best I can tell, Obsidian’s native format is to name the file Title.md and not to track any YAML metadata by default at all. I guess it relies on the filesystem for tracking created/modified timestamps. On a quick scan I cannot see any easy options to tweak Obsidian’s behavior at all. I don’t see any obvious plugins either, though I’ve only done a cursory scan of what’s available.

Is there a way to do what I want?

Thanks!

Why do you think Obsidian doesn’t like that format?

You’re wrong in your description of it, but it’s a format that Obsidian considers a date it seems, at least if you use the format YYYY-MM-DD[T]HH:mm:ssZ

What do you want Obsidian to do? It can open those files just fine.

If you want Obsidian to create files like that…

• The Unique note creator can be configured to make filenames in that format (but only in a single folder, unfortunately).
  • The Templates core plugin can help with the stuff inside the file — but you’ll have to trigger the template manually.
  • I believe the Templater and Quick Add plugins can both trigger templates on file creation, and possibly generate the filenames, too.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.