Import many notes from one single .html file?

What I’m trying to do

Hi all,
I am new to Obsidian and absolutely thrilled about it, especially the approach to have everything in an open, readable format. Currently trying to port my notes over from various sources and begin to recognize how much I am locked in to some solutions :smiley: - however, I am close to the finish line, with one challenge I did not find a solution for yet - maybe someone can point me the right direction?
There is one Program which only offers me to export all my notes (~1600) into ONE, SINGLE html file (alternatively txt, rtf or even pdf). Is there a way to get them imported separately into Obsidian, maybe even to identify tags? Apologies if this topic already has been discussed - I did not find anything about it.

Things I have tried

I have tried the Obsidian Importer tool, but this will only give me one, huge note file.

What’s the original file format? Docx or OneNote? Try searching the forum with these key words plus convert.

The original format is somehow proprietary, at least I do not know how they store it. It is the logos bible software. (https://www.logos.com/). The only thing they offer to obtain my intellectual property back is the mentioned export into one, single file unfortunately. I tried searching, but did not find anything.

I see. Well, it would be worthwhile to do this in two steps then, but it is a big job indeed. Have the file out in a format readable by Word (RTF) and use VBA macros to save out chunks by section breaks or some other delimiter.
Big job, not for the faint hearted.

Some other simple way should exist, but it eludes me.

You can save out as txt and import it into some text editor (Sublime Text, Notepad++, or other) and look for some delimiter and hope to have some plugin or core feature in these programs that can help you (I’m not familiar with the full functionality of these programs).
Computer skills are needed, otherwise it’s manual repetitive work.

Hi Gino,
sounds promising, in fact I didn’t think about that yet. I’ll tinker around and test. Just didn’t want to miss an easier solution or tool and waste hours :smiley:
Thank you very much for the suggestions - I’ll report back if successful.

1 Like

I’m following this, as my current notes are a single file in Google Docs using headers 3 and 4. Ideally, I’d like to have h3 as a folder and h4 as notes - or a way to extra h4 sections as notes, and then organize them manually.

There may not be many more comments here to follow, I’m afraid.
If you don’t have too much formatting (bold text, colours, etc.) in your file you want to keep, you can copy + paste all into a text file (which you can save as txt or md) and use the Mark dialog in Notepad++ with a regular expression to select text between delimiters (Heading 4’s). But this birdie will only fly onto the proverbial silver platter with effort, of course.

Thank you. It didn’t hurt to ask, I guess. I know nothing about coding programs and plugins, but I’m starting to wonder if I should learn. Then I go “nah” since I’d rather be writing. :slight_smile:

Automating needs skills and time invested in learning. There are sites like StackOverFlow where people ask all kinds of questions and (may) get answers. Now we have Chat-GPT as well. Migrating my longform writing and customizing commands, queries, etc. (and trying to figure out what I need before actually making things happen) really cut into my reading and writing routine but I enjoyed the process (fiddling with it, learning by trial and error with scripts and what have you) and now I have a text-based database, which is what I wanted before I even knew Obsidian.
It’s your journey, responsibility, etc…

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.