Images go only to root directory --not so, my problem

It seems that if you drag and drop images into a note, the images do not go into the images folder set in the configuration. They go to the root of your vault.

They also can not be moved into the correct folder using the obsidian file manager.
The folder name there appears to be Bins:Images instead of Bins/Images.

Once you’ve done the above, delete everything above this line.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.12
Installer version: v1.1.9
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 20.6.0: Sun Nov 6 23:17:00 PST 2022; root:xnu-7195.141.46~1/RELEASE_X86_64 20.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: supporter
Insider build toggle: on
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: light
Community theme: Things v2.1.5
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

Additional information

The Unix part of macOS should be fine with a : in a file/folder but many apps don’t allow it. (classic MacOS used it as a separator).

Try Bins Images or Bins-Images for the folder name. Or nested, folder Bins with another folder Images inside it.

2 Likes

thanks to your prompting, I revisited again what I had done. Forgive me because I am quite dyslexic and it continues to surprise me. Instead of creating one directory inside another “Bins” with “Images” inside it, I had created a directory called “Bins/Images”

so every time I saw it I was being tricked by my mind to think it was two directories (like in terminal).

Donald

What does the “Test Vault” folder structure look like in the Finder?

I would change that folder name in Obsidian from Bins:Images to something without a colon if you can. Alternatively, in Finder move that folder outside your vault and create a new Bins one in Obsidian.

OH, I see you got it. Great! Depends on OS, but try to avoid \ / : * ", etc, in file and folder names.

Can you mark this thread as “solved”? Thanks!

thanks everyone.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.