Image links no longer working?

Hi! I use Obsidian to catalogue the comic books I read and take notes on them. I use a lot of links like:

![|400](external_link)

I use these to display images on my note pages. Because a lot of the content on my notes are comic book related, I use a lot links from Fandom. This morning, suddenly all links to images from Fandom stopped working. I can still open the links in my browser, they just don’t seem to want to render on Obsidian. I figure Fandom must’ve updated something with how their images communicate with external sources. I don’t see many people use Obsidian for the same reason as me, so I’m hoping someone here might have a solution. Otherwise, I’m going to have to add locally stored images to replace all of these links.

With the same sizing you showed, here’s the movie poster from Fandom page https://jurassicpark.fandom.com/wiki/Jurassic_Park_(film) :

![|400](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/jurassicpark/images/c/ce/JP-MoviePoster.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20220215213506)

That shows the image for me. How about you?

If it does, then you could share one of the links that isn’t working so people can look into with you.

If it doesn’t, then some ideas:

  • Might you be in Source mode? Use the command palette to select Toggle Live Preview/Source mode to switch between those two modes.
  • Create a new note and paste my embed. If that works, then there could be an un-closed element in the other notes above the embed.
  • Is it just the Fandom site or all websites? If images from all websites aren’t working, then a firewall or something else might be blocking connections with Obsidian. See whether you can download a plugin you trust (that isn’t already downloaded). If you can, then this isn’t the issue. If you can’t, then this is something to look into.
  • When you embed an image file from your vault (not from the internet), does it display?

Those are quick tests. If they don’t help, then try the troubleshooting steps in About the Bug reports category - #11 by system.

I’m glad to hear it’s at least working on someone else’s notes and it’s not a site-wide thing. I’ve copied your example into my notes and it still doesn’t show. It appears as a broken link to an image.

I’m sure I’m not in Source mode. It seems to be only from Fandom sites as I have other images embedded from Wikipedia that work just fine. Images sourced from my vault also appear just fine too.

An example of an embedded picture is like this:

![|400](https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/2/2d/Action_Comics_Vol_1_1060_Textless_Variant_Jimenez.jpg)

Ah. If it’s site specific, do you have access to a VPN to test whether the images loads through another route or even a different region?

Your friend-to-the-children Superman image loaded for me in Obsidian.

You’re correct! I just set up a VPN and played around with it a little. The linking seems to not be working in North America. Any chance I can get this working without the VPN?

Sometimes, just wait a bit and it sorts itself out. Could be your ISP making this decision based off an algorithm, and when whatever factors change, you’re back in business. Or a temporary rate limit by the website’s servers. Stuff out of internet users’ control.