Iframe embedded site loading triggers a scroll to the top of the note repeatedly

Steps to reproduce

Create a note with a Heading 1. Fill the note with enough text (15 times lorem ipsum) and append an iframe with an public Google Sheet or Doc to the bottom.I suspect that any more complex site will trigger the behaviour.

(The point is to make the note long enough so that the embedded website is loaded only after user scrolls down.)

Did you follow the troubleshooting guide? [Y/N]

Yes, I followed the guide and was able to reproduce the behaviour in the sandbox on a minimal viable example.

Expected result

The iframe embedded site is loaded in its place and the note view stays in the place where the user scrolled.

Actual result

The iframe embedded site is loaded in its place and the note view scrolles to the very the top of the note.

When the user scrolls down, the behaviour repeats. The iframe embedded site is loaded, the note view scrolls all the way to the top of the note.

This makes it impossible to even edit the iframe as the user cannot move the cursor to the line containing the iframe as everytime the note view reaches the iframe, the afformentioned behaviour occurs.

Environment

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.4.16
Installer version: v1.4.14
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.6.0: Fri Sep 15 16:17:23 PDT 2023; root:xnu-8020.240.18.703.5~1/RELEASE_X86_64 21.6.0
Login status: logged in
Catalyst license: none
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on

RECOMMENDATIONS:
none

Additional information

I cannot insert a screen recording to the bug report, but will provide it upon request

2 Likes

I would like to elevate this bug report as it severely limits the use of Obsidian for some of my users.

Please, Post a screen recording of this happening in the sandbox vault and attach a copy of the note where this happens.

@WhiteNoise Example note:
Untitled 1.md (7.6 KB)
Screen recording:
https://imgur.com/a/D7R5SWz

thanks

I have the same issue and it breaks my intended use for the page.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 23.0.0: Fri Sep 15 14:41:43 PDT 2023; root:xnu-10002.1.13~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 23.0.0

1 Like

I embed google worksheets into notes to demonstrate how to make financial and statistical calculations. I have this same issue, which makes the notes useless.

Obsidian version: v1.5.3
Installer version: v1.4.16
Operating system: Windows Version 22H2 OS Build (19045.3693)

We won’t be able to fix this. It’s code inside the iframe itself that is causing the scroll.