How to use Excalidraw files in excalidraw.org?

What I’m trying to do

I use the Excalidraw plugin to make Excalidraw drawings from within Obsidian. It works great.

Since I wanted to share some of them with people who do not have Obsidian, I was planning to send them the source files so that they can import them in excalidraw.org.

This however does not work - the something.excalidraw.md files from Obsidian are not recognized by excalidraw.org

Things I have tried

After looking at the Obsidian something.excalidraw.md and an exported excalidraw.org file, I saw that the Obsidian one had the actual Excalidraw JSON source data embedded as a code block. Removing everything around the JSON created a file correctly imported in excalidraw.org.

This is however a rather artisanal way to “export” excalidraw drawings to the proper excalidraw format - is there a better way to do that?

When you have an Excalidraw open, in the bottom left menu there is the export image option. This option also allows you to export your canvas in Excalidraw format.

1 Like

Ahhhhh, thank you. I did not even try there because I expected only actual pictures to be exported. I wonder if I should not do a PR to change the wording.

Anyway, it works great!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.