How to use daily notes when you have multiple vaults?

This came up on the Mac Power Users forum and it seems like a good discussion to bring here:

Daily notes are a pillar of my Obsidian usage. I use them as a “have done” list, and to mark notable events of the day.

If I complete a milestone on a project, I like to link to the index page of the project from the Daily Note. Even better, I like to link to a block in that project index page where I’ve noted the milestone.

To do that, I’ve kept all my notes in a single vault. Is there some way I can accomplish the same result while using multiple vaults? Some method of cross-vault linking, or a workaround?

Anybody else using Daily Notes with multiple vaults? How do you structure that?

Well, if you’re going for multiple vaults (which btw I don’t know why you are, you could just create a project folder in the same vault), then I’d recommend making a “have done” list in the main vault but not linking the things in the other vault.
I don’t think cross-vault linking would ever work or be added in Obsidian, so a single vault is the way to go

Hi, you can make links between vaults using the protocol.

<obsidian://open?vault=othervault&file=some_file>

you can check this link with right button, ‘Copy obsidian link’

4 Likes

Yeah, it occurs to me now that folders rather than vaults is the way to go.

After literally decades of fiddling around with note-taking and document-management apps that use their own information stores, I need to remind myself that Obsidian is just a bunch of documents, mainly plain text, in folders.

This doesn’t seem to work for me. Maybe because I called my 2nd vault Obsidian! new [Obsidian vault](obsidian://open?vault=Obsidian&file=Obsidian) I’m on Windows

Hi, this topic focused on my current need. Because of my (single) vault size approaching the 10Gb limit I’m forced to look for ways of splitting my data over multiple vaults. However, whilst I can see this working for me, there are two stumbling blocks.

1. I have many embedded links to notes in other folders and these will end up in other vaults.

2. I use obsidian on a Windows PC and iOS devices.

Note: I use an obsidian sync subscription

Given this would the code you suggest work in this scenerio. Thanks in advance.

In addition to the two points I mentioned above:

3: Given points 1 & 2 work for me, I have now read that two instances of Obsidian can’t be opened at once, so this is a no brainer for me as I don’t see it is workable to be constantly swapping vaults and not being able to view or cut and paste between the two.

I have been using Obsidian for sometime but certainly less than a year and found it amazing to use but given the 10Gb vault limit is painting me into a corner than may see an end to this honeymoon. I sincerely hope this is not the case.

Update:

Now that I have spat the dummy, logic has returned and I have seen another way forward, whilst not ideal it may be the best way forward. Hence:

1. As most of my data is media (and that mostly photos) that I have been embedding in my notes I could forfeit the pleasure of seeing photos in my notes and just place OneDrive links to single photos or complete folders. I have done this sometimes what I have wanted a large number of media attached to a note and these usually load within a second or two.

As this media currently resides in a resources folder of around 7Gb in size, this solution would reduce the size of my current vault down to around 2Gb. Hence I could go forward potentially for many years without any issues.