How to sync Android to Win10 via Cryptomator, Dropbox, and Dropsync

What I’m trying to do

Hi Everyone, I’m needing to figure out how to sync an encrypted vault between an Android phone and a Win10 laptop, via Dropbox. Apologies but I’ve searched here and elsewhere but cannot find a tutorial on how to connect. :upside_down_face:

I want to create a vault between my Android phone and a Win10 laptop. As I understand it, Dropbox needs the extra service of Dropsync to enable the bi-directional syncing. I’ve got that set up no problem. I have ‘test’ text files on the phone and laptops, syncing fine.

However, I still require my data to be encrypted, and I cannot work out how to add in Cryptomator. This means, I want to connect my vault, via crytomator, to the Dropsync/Dropbox setup.

I’m realising as I write this, I also don’t even understand how to connect my unencrypted vault between Android Obsidian and Dropbox/Dropsync

Graaa! I’m lost, help please anyone :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

As I searched for a solution, I found Syncing Obsidian vault via encrypted GitHub repository to Android, where @renerocksai links to his own article where he writes,

Three layers of magic software is where too many things can go wrong. While I wouldn’t mind syncing my Dropbox and using Cryptomator in general, I don’t want to set them up just - and especially - for my …

So I guess that’s what I’m asking for, three layers of software. I’m not however planning on connecting my main vault, I’m going to be using a second vault (as I don’t want my main vault accessible on my phone, in case I lose it etc)

I should add that until now I’ve been using Joplin as my Android note taking app, and transferring these notes to my main vault, but I’m finding Joplin too restrictive, so I’d like to have this separate Obsidian/android vault.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is able to offer some guidance :sunglasses: :+1: :grimacing:

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.