How to search by part of nested tag

Things I have tried

I tried to search part of nested tag with “tag:” prefix but no luck.

What I’m trying to do

I’m heavy nested tags user. :wink: I can’t figure out, how I could quickly search by just a part of nested tag. E.g. with tag #technology/language/JavaScript, how could I get all JavaSript files without writing the whole thing (#technology/language/JavaScript), just something like “tag:JavaSript” or “tag:*JavaScript*”?

If that is not possible, I guess it would be a nice feature request. :wink:

Thank you for your help.

5 Likes

Regex should work with that, although I haven’t tested it with that particular use case.

tag:/.+?\/Javascript/

Let me know if it works.

Not possible according to @tallguyjenks

So the Regex search suggested by @koala seems the way to go.

Unfortunately it says that “operator ‘tag’ can only be followed by text”. But the idea was cool, tnx. :wink:

Hm, yeah, you’re right, it only accepts text.
You could open a FR for also supporting Regex in there. But then there is the problem that Regex is indicated by /regex in here/, but the / operator is also used for the subtags, so that wouldn’t work.

If you write the Regex yourself without the tag: operator, this works:

/#.+?\/Javascript/

4 Likes

That works perfectly, thank you! :vulcan_salute:t2:

2 Likes

As a not very skilled Regex user can I ask another part nested query? My tags are like #task/wf/fred OR #task/wf/sally. I sometimes want to search for #task/wf so I can find tags where I have forgotten to add a name. I guess the regex would need look for the pattern wf followed by whitespace or a newline, but not a /. Ideally, I’d also like to look for typos where the character immediately after the wf is something other than a / a space or new line. Thanks in advance for any help.

I’m also a heavy nested tag user. I also need a quick shortcut to find a particular nested tag?

Are there new developments here? Is there any plugin you recommend?

6 Likes

Looking for a solution still.

2 Likes