How to re-enable paste as text?

I’m following up on this thread: Paste as text not returning as plain text

I’m new to Obsidian and I’ve installed a few plugins. Before installing the plugins, I was able to copy-paste as text (without formatting) just fine using CMD+Shift+v. I installed like ~10 plugins at the same time and suddenly I’m unable to paste as text.

I’m using Obsidian Version 1.1.8 (Installer 0.15.9) on Mac OS 12.2 (21D49).

Here is my list of plugins:

• dataview
  • obsidian-admonition
  • obsidian-annotator
  • obsidian-excalidraw-plugin
  • obsidian-extract-pdf-highlights
  • obsidian-languagetool-plugin
  • obsidian-mind-map
  • obsidian-text-format
  • oz-image-plugin
  • sliding-panes-obsidian
  • table-editor-obsidian

Things I have tried

1. I disabled all plugins using settings → Community plugins → disable plugins. → restart Obsidian/restart Mac
  2. Deleting the .obsidian folder → restart Obsidian/restart Mac

All without success.

Pasting as text works fine in other applications like text edit or google docs.

I’m wondering:

• Does this sound like an Obsidian issue or a Mac issue to you?
  • Can I reset the Obsidian settings? I mean apart from deleting the .obsidian folder?
  • How can I regain my paste-as-text ability?

Thanks for any pointers!

What version of Obsidian, and what Installer version too?

You installed a bunch of plugins and it changed. It sounds likely to be a plugins problem.

Sliding Panes is obsolete. The feature is now built into Obsidian as “Stacked Tabs”, and you should uninstall Sliding Panes.

“obsidian-text-format” sounds like it could be related to this problem from the title alone. But I don’t know I’ve never tried it. Try disabling that one. And then try disabling other ones until you find which is causing the issue. (Restart Obsidian when disabling a plugin to make sure it’s fully unloaded.)

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the advice, @rigmarole!

I have disabled all of them one by one and restarted obsidian after disabling each of them. Unfortunately, no luck.

After that, I also uninstalled all of my plugins and restarted. Still no luck.

Do you have any advice for next steps?

• To isolate if this is an Obsidian problem: If you go to the help Sandbox vault, can you paste-without-formatting? Or if you make a new test vault?

• In your vault, if you go to hotkeys, did you (or a plugin) map Cmd-Shift-V to something else?

• 0.15.9 installer should be ok. But maybe you can try reinstalling with a fresher download, since there have been so many big changes.

• You could also paste your “Show debug info” here to try and spot any other obvious problems.

Can I reset the Obsidian settings? I mean apart from deleting the .obsidian folder?

There is no reset feature exactly. Hotkeys do have individual reset buttons.

But you don’t need to delete the whole folder. For example, if you did know (and we don’t know yet) that your hotkeys were the problem, you could reset just those by deleting just that hotkeys.json settings file. Backup first before messing with those files, of course.

Also sorry, I see you did mention and try some of the things I suggested. I guess I didn’t read your post carefully enough.

2 Likes

Thanks again for the advice!

To isolate if this is an Obsidian problem: If you go to the help Sandbox vault, can you paste-without-formatting? Or if you make a new test vault?

Created a new vault but the problem persists there, too. Same with the Sandbox vault.

In your vault, if you go to hotkeys, did you (or a plugin) map Cmd-Shift-V to something else?

I did mess with the hot keys but I did not map Cmd-Shift-V to anything else. I double-checked by test-mapping some function to this key combo but it did not turn red (as it otherwise would, I checked).

0.15.9 installer should be ok. But maybe you can try reinstalling with a fresher download, since there have been so many big changes.

Installed the latest version (Version 1.1.8 (Installer 1.1.8)) but still no luck.

You could also paste your “Show debug info” here to try and spot any other obvious problems.

SYSTEM INFO:
Obsidian version: v1.1.8
Installer version: v1.1.8
Operating system: Darwin Kernel Version 21.3.0: Wed Jan 5 21:37:58 PST 2022; root:xnu-8019.80.24~20/RELEASE_ARM64_T6000 21.3.0
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: Things v2.1.3
Snippets enabled: 1
Restricted mode: off
Plugins installed: 9
Plugins enabled: 9
1: Dataview v0.5.47
2: Admonition v9.0.5
3: Advanced Tables v0.18.1
4: Annotator v0.2.8
5: Excalidraw v1.8.6
6: LanguageTool Integration v0.3.3
7: Mind Map v1.1.0
8: Ozan’s Image in Editor Plugin v2.1.5
9: PDF Highlights v0.0.4

Note that I did re-install some of the plugins. But I tried all of your suggestions before re-installing them.

Any other thoughts?

Ok… hmm. Well then it begins to sound like a Mac problem, even though you say it works in other apps.

Check your Keyboard settings in Mac preferences to make sure that key combo isn’t mapped somewhere.

Do you have any snippet-like apps installed? Karabiner Elements, BetterTouchTool, Expanso, Alfred, aText Expander, etc. etc.? Try to think if any of those might be interfering with your keyboard.

What language/localization is your keyboard set to?

Silly question, but have you tried rebooting your computer? I’m running out of ideas.

1 Like

OK, I think I found the “culprit”: Me :joy:

The entire time, I wanted to copy-paste these characters without formatting:
**Related Literature:** [[some link]]

Obsidian did exactly what I asked it to do and copy-pasted this string without formatting. The only thing I didn’t consider is that Obsidian/MD does not consider text enclosed in ** and [[ as formatted text.

When I copy text from other sources and paste it without formatting, it works just fine.

I am very grateful for your help, @rigmarole, and apologize for my stupid question!

2 Likes

All good; been there! :grin:

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.