How to pad the bottom of editor with extra lines?

I’m trying to figure out how to activate a feature (or plugin?) in Obsidian where as you are editing, the display will scroll to pad the bottom of the editor with some number of lines, so that your cursor is not hitting the bottom of the view.

For example, say if I chose for the editor to pad with 3 lines, then when I move the cursor to the bottom of the screen, the display should show the line I am currently editing along with the 2 following lines. As I move the cursor down again, the two lines below the cursor should still be visible.

I have trouble describing the feature that I’m looking for, and I’ve found it difficult to locate any information on it. All Google and forum search I’ve done have not resulted in any relevant results. However, I remember this being a thing I’ve used in Obsidian before, but I can’t find anything that could activate this in the settings.

Does anyone have an idea of what I’m talking about? Was this a plugin I was using or is this a native Obsidian feature?

This is a common need. What you’re looking for is context around the cursor.

Examples:

Is there a way to do this in Obsidian without using vim mode? I am also aware of the typewriter scroll plugin but that isn’t really what I’m looking for.

I don’t even think you can use scrolloff in Obsidian. That is a Vim feature. Vim in Obsidian is just a subset of bindings.

But, you already should be able to scroll down past the text. This has been built into Obsidian for quite a while now. If you can’t, you might have a theme issue. I don’t think it is a setting. I can’t find it anyway.

scrollingdown

The flaw with this is you need a trackpad or mouse to do so. There doesn’t seem to be a way to scroll this space with only the keyboard. I only just noticed that.

1 Like

I stand corrected. It seems once your cursor is at the bottom, you can type page down, and it also scrolls that space. Or fn-down on a Mac with no numpad.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.