How to limit split view to just 2 panes and open new tabs in those panes

What I’m trying to do

My workflow involves having two tabs open in side-by-side split view: a to-do list on the left, and a tab(s) for the task(s) in progress on the right. Sometimes, I want to click a link (i.e. a task) from the tab in the left-side pane and have it open a new tab in the right-side pane. In particular, I would like for the new tab to open in the right-side pane on top of the other tabs that are already open there.

I have tried several approaches to accomplish this:

1. I use the “open in a new tab” shortcut (Cmd + click), which opens the link from the left-side tab as a new tab still in the left-side pane. This covers the original left-side tab, which I always want to see. This is not what I want.

2. I use the “open to the right” shortcut (Cmd + Option + click), which opens a new, third pane in the middle of the window between the left and right panes. This is definitely not what I want!

3. Forgetting about split view entirely, I can drag the main task list document into the left sidebar. Once it’s there and no longer behaving as a tab, I can use Cmd + click and get links to open in the main pane area on top of the other tabs. This actually is the desired behavior, however it requires that I sacrifice my left sidebar (I always want to see this one document), which makes this a compromise solution at best.

Things I have tried

I tried linking tabs and pinning tabs, neither of which does what I want. I also scoured Google for anything involving “split view” and “tab groups” and did not find anyone dealing with this kind of use case. As far as I can tell, what I’m asking for seems to be impossible. It’s not the end of the world—I can make option 3 work—but committing my left sidebar entirely to showing one document feels quite suboptimal, and I would really like an option to have links clicked in one pane open tabs in the other.

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 Like

Ctrl alt clicking an internal link or ctrl alt clicking a note in the Explorer pane will open in different tab group. You may be interested in this request: Hotkey or Modifier click link to open in pane to left/right/above/below

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.