How to know if Obsidian encryption is working?

Things I have tried

I have searched around on Obsidian and Google and can’t seem to find an answer to the question, How to know if Obsidian encryption is working?

What I’m trying to do

I purchased the Sync plugin from Obsidian hoping to have access to the files I created on my iMac from my laptop but I’m not sure encryption is working. What is the best way to test/see that it is?

I created a Remote Vault on Dropbox. I thought I would need my encryption password to access the files in that vault on Dropbox. I was able to open the files using Visual Studio without a password.

Please help me understand what I’m missing.

I think you are confusing end to end encryption (which obsidian is and Dropbox isn’t) and endpoint/local encryption.

Obsidian encryptions your files in transit and on it’s servers. The files on your computer are not encrypted (by us).

My advice is to not mix Dropbox and obsidian sync unless you know what you are doing.

Ok, thanks I figured out what I was doing wrong. I removed the Remote vault on Dropbox and created the Remote vault on my desktop. After logging on to Obsidian on my laptop, I created a local vault (this step I was missing), and then I was able to connect to the Remote vault on my desktop. Very slick.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.