How to install Obsidian snap on Ubuntu?

I am an Ubuntu user, and thought I’ve already installed lots of snap apps, I’ve never installed one that was just a .snap file.

I’ve tried to install it on my system using various commands, but with no luck.

sudo snap install obsidian_0.7.3_amd64.snap 
error: cannot find signatures with metadata for snap 
    "obsidian_0.7.3_amd64.snap"

Can someone tell me how to do it?

EDIT: Turns out I solved my own problem.

If anyone else get the same error, the command is:

sudo snap install --dangerous obsidian_0.7.3_amd64.snap
17 Likes

Thanks a lot!

Yeah I had the same issue. Could the devs comment about why this is needed for the snap package? I am not familiar with the steps to publish a snap so I actually do not know. Is it a burdensome step to provide the needed signature?

1 Like

The snap needs an associated assertion file .assert. If you don’t put obsidian in the Ubuntu “snap store”, then you must download and load the .assert file separately. I don’t know very much about assertions, so you’ll need to investigate. And make notes. With obsidian.

3 Likes

Thanks!

Much appreciated (though adding --dangerous went against all my principles!!)
K
:slight_smile:

1 Like

An assertion is a digitally signed document that either verifies the validity of a process, as attested by the signer, or carries policy information, as formulated by the signer.

so I guess --dangerous comment just ignores the validation part

If obsidian.snap is in your Downloads folder than run “sudo snap install ~/Downloads/obsidian_0.9.20.snap --dangerous”

PS: Snap packages are buggy. It doesn’t open an existing folder as vault and when i search for the folder in home directory it doesn’t show up. Should move to appimages, I guess.

1 Like

Thank you! Helpful.

Sure would be nice to get this signed and listed on snapcraft.

1 Like

Sure would be nice to get this signed and listed on snapcraft.

I’m considering to use (and pay for, of course) Obsidian to use instead of Standard Notes. One necessity is to have the app always updated. Standard Notes is available in Snap Store, so would be nice to have Obsidian there. It could have a channel for stable releases, beta releases, edge releases another one for insiders/stable, and so on.

1 Like

Obsidian han an internal update system.

Please make Obsidian available as an official snap package on snapcraft.io.

With Obsidian available on Flathub and the Snap Store, the vast majority of Linux users should be able to easily install Obsidian and enjoy full desktop integration with their distribution of choice.

Regards

2 Likes

So I have Obsidian running fine on one of my Linux laptops, but for some reason I can’t get it to install on another (the one from which I am writing this reply). When trying to install I get this result:

error: cannot open: “obsidian_0.7.3_amd64.snap”

When I try: sudo snap install --dangerous obsidian_0.7.3_amd64.snap

I get: error: cannot open: “obsidian_0.7.3_amd64.snap”

All snaps are up to date…

1 Like

Thanks a lot!