How to get current file content without YAML frontmatter?

Hi,

I have found the following guide for getting the content of the current file:

const noteFile = this.app.workspace.getActiveFile(); // Currently Open Note
if(!noteFile.name) return; // Nothing Open

// Read the currently open note file. We are reading it off the HDD - we are NOT accessing the editor to do this.
let text = await this.app.vault.read(noteFile); 

This code is created by Binny V A and published in txt.binnyvs.com.

How can I remove YAML frontmatter from this? Or is there another way to get the file content so that YAML is already filtered out?

In theory, I could try to come up with a regular expression that would strip away everything that is between two --- lines (with the first --- line being the very first thing in the file). I just don’t think it’s a good idea to do this kind of thing myself, as it can be errorprone, and I would guess Obsidian already does a split like this. I just don’t know if there is API access for it.

Thank you for your support!

1 Like

I’ve been able to use the cached frontmatter information to do that

This is the relevant code (note that error checking is not present):

const file = app.workspace.getActiveFile();
let text = editor.getDoc().getValue()
let fmc = app.metadataCache.getFileCache(file)?.frontmatter;
let end = fmc.position.end.line + 1 // accont for ending ---
body = text.split("\n").slice(end).join("\n")

3 Likes

Thank you @endorama ! :heart: It took quite some time before I finally tried this. It’s working perfectly! :sunglasses:

If it’s ok to you, I’ll use this in my Shell commands plugin, where I’ll create a new variable named {{note_content}} that allows users to pass current note’s content (without YAML) as input to system commands they execute.

Here’s an updated version of the code that works in Obsidian 1.4.0 and onwards, when FrontMatterCache no longer has a position property.

const file = app.workspace.getActiveFile();
let text = editor.getDoc().getValue()
let position = app.metadataCache.getFileCache(file)?.frontmatterPosition;
let end = position.end.line + 1 // accont for ending ---
body = text.split("\n").slice(end).join("\n")

A cheap way to do this would be doing .replace(/---[\S\s]*?---/, "").

People often say that using Regex causes more problems, but this seems fairly foolproof as it’s a non-greedy match.

MetadataCache can be slightly outdated (especially when editing yaml using source mode), so I’d use @pellucid’s approach. But be careful, that pattern will also match 'before --- middle --- after' for example.

After all, all you have to do is just split the content into lines, check if the first line’s content is ---, and find the next --- line.

@ush the .replace() function only replaces the first instance of the match, and since frontmatter always occurs at the very beginning of the note there’s not any danger of extra stuff being replaced.

Also, off topic, but I think your plugins are really cool :slight_smile:

the .replace() function only replaces the first instance of the match, and since frontmatter always occurs at the very beginning of the note there’s not any danger of extra stuff being replaced.

The problem is that --- can be a horizontal rule, not a front matter.

In the example below, the “I’m interested in Obsidian” section is removed.

I think your plugins are really cool :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words!! I appreciate it🔥

Ah that’s true, if there’s no frontmatter but there are two horizontal rules, then it will replace content that shouldn’t be replaced.