How to focus editor after doing a search

I am a new user and love Obsidian so far! I am a heavy keyboard shortcut user and have found the following flow tricky, was wondering if I am missing anything obvious. I’ve done a cursory search of the docs and available shortcuts can’t seem to figure it out.

What I’m trying to do

Search for text using the keyboard, and then use the keyboard to escape the search and immediately start typing where the search result was found.

What I’ve tried

1. cmd + F to search for text in a document
  2. Hit enter until I get the right search result
  3. Hit esc and expect to start typing at that location
  4. At this point the editor seems to not have focus anymore.

A similar flow occurs when I do a global search

1. cmd + shift + F to search for text globally
  2. There seems to be no keyboard shortcut to select results so I just click on one
  3. Hit esc and expect to start typing at that location
  4. At this point the editor seems to not have focus anymore.

Any help/thoughts would be much appreciated!

2 Likes

I don’t see a way to do this, either, and I’d love to see the functionality added. There’s a feature request that seems pretty directly related to this here if you want to add your support there: Navigate editor with search feature

1 Like

@Anthony In Obsidian → Settings → Hotkeys there is command named “Focus on editor”. It was added long before Obsidian v0.13.23. Does it solve the problem?

Unfortunately, no. It just returns you to the editor, with the cursor wherever it was when you initiated the search. Ideally, as you cycle through search results, “escape” key should drop you into the current result so you don’t have to click with the mouse, as @Anthony described.