How to disable automatic note creation for links to non-existing notes?

I noticed that Obsidian 0.12.12 automatically makes a new note when I click on a link that points to a non-existing note.

So a click on a broken link results in a note with that ‘broken’ filename made.

That’s not what I want. I want to fix broken links.

How do I turn this off?

Things I have tried

• Searched the forum.
  • Looked through the settings.
  • Asked on Discord.

(Apologies if I overlooked a topic or setting about this; I don’t know how this feature is named. Which probably shows in the vague title of this topic. :slightly_smiling_face: )

1 Like

How would Obsidian “know” that its a “broken link”. If you mistyped a name in the link or didn’t use the correct pipe alias in the link, how would Obsidian “know” that? To Obsidian, your “broken” link is just as valid as your preferred link. If you want to connect an uncreated link to a different note name, then use the pipe alias or [[^ for a paragraph lookup link. Obsidian can’t read your mind.

This is not what I said or asked about.

My point is about the automatic note creation when clicking a broken link. That has nothing to do with ‘reading my mind’.

3 Likes

It does, in the sense that Obsidian doesn’t know its a broken link. How would it.

Is the a Note link, ie [[asdf]], or are you talking about a URL.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.