How to correctly proceed with big changes to vault?

What I’m trying to do

I’m trying to do some big changes to my vault but am afraid to break something. I still use the old folder note plugin for the only pulpous of creating folder notes. I don’t use any other functions of that plugin. I want to switch to the new one that is still maintained but am worried how this will affect my notes and folder structure.

What is the best way to proceed? Can I duplicate the Vault so I can try it? Is a simple copy of the vaults content enough?

Edit: wrong first link:

and want to switch to

You can indeed simply copy the vault folder and its content. You then could try your changes on the copy first. From within Obsidian, simply open the copied vault folder as a different vault and do your testing with that copy.

When done, you can remove that copy vault from the list and delete the copied folder.

2 Likes

Yup! Make a copy of the root vault folder (or copies if you’d feel better). Rename that copy 2024-03-26_OLDVAULT, NewVaultName, or whatever.

The VAULTNAME/.obsidian/ settings folder may be hidden depending on your OS settings, but that folder will have all your current settings, themes, CSS snippets (if you have any), and plugins.

Now you can decide if you want to start a whole new vault and copy things into it, or use the previous NewVaultName as your new vault.

• If you are making a new vault: Create new vault in the vault switcher and copy the files and folders in there (with or without the .obsidian/ settings folder).
  • If you want to use NewVaultName as your new vault: Open folder as vault and select that in the vault switcher.
1 Like

@ariehen @vanadium Thanks guys, I’ll give it a try!

1 Like

It worked out well!

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.