How to : Change search highlight colour?

How can I change the highlight colour when doing a search

Greetings everyone. I am currently using the default Obsidian theme (dark). Whenever I do a search, or click on a link to header, the returned result is highlighted with a dark yellow colour that I find visually unpleazing. (See screenshot)

I have searched these forums and google more broadly. I have found some css snippets that change “.cm-s-obsidian span.obsidian-search-match-highlight” but none have had nay effect whatsoever.

Here is one I’ve tried :

Is there a way to change the yellow colour that is use in highlighted search results? Thanks!

This is the one that I use:

.backlink-pane .search-result-file-matched-text,
  .workspace-leaf-content[data-type="search"] .search-result-file-matched-text,
  .internal-query .search-result-file-matched-text {
    background: none;
    color: var(--text-accent);
  }

It removes the background and gives the text your accent colour, which is what I prefer.
The snippet is for the global search, inline search queries & the backlinks pane, if you only want this to apply to the global search then just remove the other two selectors:

.workspace-leaf-content[data-type="search"] .search-result-file-matched-text {
    background: none;
    color: var(--text-accent);
  }

I hope this helps.

1 Like
.theme-dark .search-result-container {
  --text-highlight-bg: var(--color-accent);
}

.theme-light .search-result-container {
  --text-highlight-bg: var(--color-accent);
}

Text-highlight variable is used for highlights in editor as well. Editor can be targeted by replacing .search-result-container with .markdown-source-view. Reading mode can be targeted with .markdown-reading-view.

Some predefined colors are available and they are listed in Colors - Developer Documentation

1 Like

Wow, finally a snippet that works for chaning the search result highlights! Thank you so much!

You can also try this:

.theme-dark .search-result-container {
  --text-highlight-bg: var(--text-selection);
}

.theme-light .search-result-container {
  --text-highlight-bg: var(--text-selection);
}

See also CSS‑editor community plugin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.