How many of you use simple MOCs instead of plugins to make your notes more future proof?

PLugins that structure information in a database-like manner are nice, but the developers might abandon them and after some updates, they will become useless.
Making simple Maps of Content, instead, will always be visible and accessible.

3 Likes

The leftover plugin codes may still be useful to give an idea of what was intended. I don’t use DataView, but I use embedded searches sometimes. They won’t work if Obsidian goes away, but the leftover search query will tell me how to find what was there.

But yeah, mostly I use links and text. I use the Waypoint plugin to generate lists of links to all the files in a folder (it produces Markdown, so the lists work without Waypoint, tho of course they won’t update without it).

2 Likes

Yeah I try to keep my plugin use very minimal. I use some queries, but they are more like working memory, or temporary project management for me. Like a query for recent notes, and coloured by a WIP tag.

But if those queries go away, the core structure of my notes is just links and a few tags.

I ended up not using any block embeds or tranclusions, except for the occasional “start page”. For me these things are only useful as long as I can keep a working memory of the structure. Once I’ve stepped away for even a few weeks, it becomes nothing but an obstacle. So I love simplicity and manually curated structure.

2 Likes