How I use Daily Notes

My daily note header generated by Pythons script and trigger by highlighted the notes name and pressing button > it will call Keyboard maestro and trigger script. #MacOs

4 Likes

Interesting! So you store the primary meta-content of the meeting in the daily note, rather than as a discreet file, and then link to a file if there are notes. How does this look in practice? Do you use a particular naming convention for the meeting note files?

2 Likes

I store the metadata in Espanso. When I have a meeting I type :meet and it fills out the meeting template.

Would you mind explaining me how to archive something similar?

Thank you!

May I know your technical skills? All my scripts are done in python. To run them is matter of preference, MAC / WIN have different solutions.

I usually understand reading scripts and have a high success rate on modifying & implementing them in alfred/hazel, shell…

Its like freecliming. If someone is climbing in front of me its easy to keep up :wink:

writing code from scratch I have very little experience

Thanks for sharing this. I also find journaling and context capturing to be hugely helpful for understanding how something played out so that I can learn from it. I’ll definitely be “stealing” some of these ideas. :pray:

Brother, sorry to say, but you need to know python to make something like this work. Just check some tutorials on youtube, maybe you can improve your skill for work! In the script to generate what you see on the picture are many my specific variables and paths. So I cannot share it with you, becouse you cannot read the code and edit it.

Of course I can read and edit! I think that’s what I wrote earlier.

If you wouldn’t mind sharing your script I should be able to adapt it to my needs.

Would appreciate it a lot!

I think this is a wonderful approach; thanks for sharing. I do something very similar, using TextExpander (yes; not F/OSS, years of investment) but without the back-linking approach you’ve illuminated. And will now incorporate. The only other thing I do is maintain a GTD backlog, which functions somewhat like a ‘brain dump’ file that’s pinned (on 1Writer for mobile and on desktop) from which I pull to-do tasks into the Daily Log. The reason I moved to this approach was the occasional day where too many things came at once, or I didn’t have the opportunity to sit down and run the normal daily process. It gets those things out of my head if I don’t happen to have the time to process them normally.

TL;DR: Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

would you be willing to share the :meet configuartion for espanso?

Thanks for sharing. I attend a lot of meetings and prior to Obsidian I used a simple folder structure to organise my meeting notes. Something like this:

/Meetings/1-1 Meetings//<date .md>
/Meetings/Committee//<date.md>

I like the idea of writing meeting notes directly into my Daily notes, but I’m unsure how to find all meetings relating to Committee x, or person y. Presumably tags could be used, but I’m a little uncomfortable about not having a separate note for each meeting.

In your process do you link to a separate meeting note, or is everything in the body of the Daily note?

Not in every case.

3 Likes

This is very late, but I link to other notes all the time. I have a certain meeting where I have to keep the notes in an external wiki. I simply just link to the site, but I keep the fact that meeting took place with certain people at a certain time in my Daily Notes for future reference.

Wouldn’t this be typed “:bc”, followed by a space?

Thanks mitzimbj

@mitzimbj I know this is old, but I just discovered Obsidian and this post in particular has been awesome. I am curious if your workflow has changed over the last months since this was originally posted and also if you keep personal tasks and brain dump in this daily log or if you use additional document(s) for that. Thanks for sharing all of this! I am already implementing much of this!

3 Likes

@somnicide I still use this, not as diligently as I once did. Basically, I stopped using this as a Task Manager and just went back to Todoist. Most everything else is the same. The Calendar plugin has made managing this WAY better. I look forward into delving into other plugins to see if I can find my organizational mojo again.

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for the follow up. I have been enjoying it as a task manager - I have been reviewing the previous day in the morning and then copying over and undone tasks. I have done some evolution but am really liking where I am at with this one, so thanks again!

@mitzimbj Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.
I’ve been using Daily notes for almost a year now. But ran into a problem of daily notes being useless in Graph view

I mean useless when we think about @nickmilo’s LYT active note linking also from and within Graph view. Issue is that note created automatically contains only it’s date in a file name, and if it’s changed or amended with something more meaningful it looses it’s connection with Daily Note calendar.
Wonder if anyone has any ideas or workarounds via day template to fix this, to have both active Daily notes calendar AND linkable names in Graph view?