How I made the local graph usable

I used to not use the local graph much. I like to keep it at depth 2 to see more connections, but I was seeing so much noise that it became unusable. Here’s how I solved the problem.

I identified the most important categories of notes. For me, they fall into two categories:

• Highest-Leverage Notes. I look at all my notes through the 80/20 filter. 20% percent are the most important, highest-leverage notes. I started tagging those notes (I use the tag #hl – highest-leverage).
  • Onlyness Notes. Onlyness means that which you and only you can do. I started tagging those notes that fall in this category (I use the tag #onlyness). Onlyness notes are inspiring and remind me of what I should focus more on.

In the local graph, I created color groups for those two tags, and I filtered the local graph to see only the notes containing those tags:

tag:#hl OR tag:#onlyness

The result is beautiful and extremely useful. Every single node on the local graph is meaningful and powerful.

I’m posting it because I thought it might be useful to some people. (It would have been so useful for me when I started.) If you have any questions, I’m happy to answer them.

1 Like

Hi, interesting approach, but … can you elaborate on your use cases?

I want to master thinking. One aspect of it is the capacity to use conceptual tools of thought.

Most of the nodes in my PKM are concepts (I actually think of them as mental models). So for me, the PKM is a concept (model) library. The highest-leverage ones are those with the greatest practical application.