How do you use the graph view?

I’m curious: I find the graph view neat to look at, but I’m not sure how to use it effectively. What practical benefits do others get? What problems does it help you solve?

2 Likes

My use so far: to see the relative size and therefore “importance” of notes. 10% of the time to discover new notes, but I prefer the random note plugin for that. At first I used to look at the graph a lot, but now I look only when I need an overview of the whole vault

1 Like

It’s more or less useless right now. A few upcoming enhancements (e.g. center on note and filtering) will help a lot, but it needs considerably more features/power to really be useful (at least once you have a reasonably large database). The more querying and customization power we can get, the better it will be.

9 Likes

One way I use it is in my workflow to easily see unlinked notes. I like how they are on the outside off to themselves. I periodically double check and decide how and where I want these notes to be referenced.

1 Like

I look at the straggler notes all by themselves. Then i dive into them and make an effort to link them to similar notes. I also tag them too.

I’d like to use it for low-friction, almost exploratory review of my notes – that is, to be able to filter the graph by tags (so I can see all notes on a particular topic), then pick a note on a concept pertaining to the topic that I’m slightly fuzzy on, then “follow” the graph from that concept to connected note-nodes to remind myself of the context, and thereby get quickly myself back up to speed on the topic, especially if I haven’t engaged with the topic recently.

But this will of course require lots of enhancements to the graph view: filters, the option to open notes in new panels, etc.