How do you "catch up" with Obsidian Best Practices?

I’ve been using Obsidian for about a year now and continue to love it. That said, I am a less frequent reader of the forum. The forum remains a gold mine of information, but I have an Obsidian system in place that works for me, so I spend most of my time planting new flowers rather than learning about how to garden.

But every once in a while, about once every four to six weeks, I ask myself, “What’s new in Obsidian?” I don’t mean what features are new in the software. That’s easy to track through version release notes. I mean, what’s up in best practices. What new plug-ins have been developed that I don’t know about? How are people using Dataview differently now compared to six weeks ago? Are there new tricks with YAML that I should know about? Did a small change in the most recent release lead to a revolution in how Obisidan users are now using the software?

Question: Has anyone found an efficient way to locate and learn new information about best Obsidian practices that avoids hunting through Forum threads from weeks ago? Is there a summary or blog for Obsidian somewhere? Is there a YouTube roundup of recent developments in the Obsidian community that is published every few weeks or even once a quarter? What do you use to “catch up” when you’ve been away from the Obsidian community for a couple of months?

Thanks for answering.

1 Like

You would probably be interested in the Obsidian Roundup. If I had to point to one resource that does what you’re describing, this is it.

Outside of that, I use a combination of the subreddit (/r/ObsidianMD) and various YouTube channels. I find Reddit easier to use than the forums or Discord, and channels like Linking Your Thinking help me see how other people use Obsidian and how I can improve my own workflow.

10 Likes

+1 for Obsidian Roundup!

Also in the Discord community, there is #starboard which are highlights. And reading the releases notes.

And on a tangent, I learned a great “trick” many years ago, and it was about Twitter. This was back in the day when you could conceivably “catch up” and read everything in your linear timeline.

It was this: Don’t treat it like a book to read through. Treat it like a cocktail party. You randomly dip in to conversations here and there, and don’t worry about the ones you’re missing. That idea freed me up to stop twittering quite so manically. Ultimately it’s largely FOMO that drives the urge to keep up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.