How do (unicode) emojis work in Obsidian?

I noticed that when I paste Unicode emojis, I get different renderings. In this example I’m using the emoji-toolbar plugin to insert an emoji.

I always thought that the display of Unicode symbols depends on the font used. However, the font is the same in Source Mode and Reading View. Nevertheless, different renderings are displayed.

So my questions:

• Which font is used for displaying emojis in Obsidian?
  • If the font does not contain its own symbol, what is the fallback?
  • How can it be that the display in Source Mode and Reading View is different?
  • Would there be a way to force a uniform display?

obs-emoji-picker

obs-read

Do you see the same behavior when you use the default theme?

Yes, it’s exactly the same.

Something to do with how Windows interprets the character (from the plugin picker) as opposed to how the browser / Electron-based app displays it when parsed? Take it you are using Windows from the emojis shown in your screenshots.

https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html#1f5d2

1 Like

Noticed that the parsed emoji appears to come from a Twitter resource.

The app’s code refers to this and other fonts:

.emoji-mart-emoji-native {
  font-family: "Segoe UI Emoji", "Segoe UI Symbol", "Segoe UI", "Apple Color Emoji", "Twemoji Mozilla", "Noto Color Emoji", "Android Emoji";
}

Do you have any of the other fonts available on your system? Perhaps the developer can help with why it is using two different versions and resorting to the Twitter resource when parsed.

Sorry for late reply, just had time to look into it.

Indeed it seems to be a setting from the emoji-toolbar-plugin which allows to enable “Twitter Emojis” for emoji search and preview mode.

I was under the impression the plugin simply offers a way to insert emojis and wasn’t aware it also affects rendering in reading mode.

Thanks for shedding some light on the issue.

1 Like

It was just a wild guess. :grin:

Hope you can get a working solution.

very strange for me too,
I have 3 differents emoji on the same page
Capture d’écran du 2023-02-22 16-56-12