How do I write the negative degree of a number in normal form

What I’m trying to do

In the first screenshot the number 1 is displayed large, which looks unnatural and wrong, I want the view to be similar to the one shown in screenshot 2

Things I have tried

I’ve tried using the Editing Toolbar plugin, it has a nice function to add the degree of any number, but it doesn’t work for maths blocks and maths formatting, I have no choice but to leave it as it is, but it’s annoying and often causes misunderstandings for me

What formatting are you currently using to build that expression? Please show in a code block, so we can copy it and play around with variations.

To insert code blocks either use the menus, or add three or more of either a backtick or a tilde character on the line before and after the code block.

1 Like

https://math.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/5020/mathjax-basic-tutorial-and-quick-reference

I don’t know if I’m understanding you correctly, but here’s what I use in Obsidian

$$(\frac{\frac{1}{a_1}+\frac{1}{a_2}+...+\frac{1}{a_n}}{n})^-1$$
1 Like

Thank you, now try the following:

$$\left(\frac{\frac{1}{a_1}+\frac{1}{a_2}+...+\frac{1}{a_n}}{n}\right)^{-1}$$

In my Obsidian (in live preview) this produces:

Two changes have been done, using \left( and \right) to get bigger parentheses, and using ^{-1} to make sure the entire expression is superscripted.

Both found in this cheat sheet, as I use mathjax not enough to remember this stuff: MathJax basic tutorial and quick reference - Mathematics Meta Stack Exchange

1 Like

Оh, I realised what my mistake was, I found this solution just now, I don’t know why I didn’t try this before, sry.