How do I work with Obsidian on Mobile?

The app Taio is more an more impressive to work on iOS. They improved it so that images pasted are automatically added to a pre-defined folder (assets) in the notes directory. Similarly, dropping a webpage on a note automatically creates a Markdown link. I can now go back and forth frictionless between notes captured using Obsidian and Taio.

2 Likes

You can open md files in Pythonista, it works very well :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Twen. From a cursory look at it, Taio looks promising and my vaults in Boxcryptor are indeed available.

Can you use Drafts with Obsidian? I thought the notes within Drafts were not accessible through the file system. How do you access Drafts notes from Obsidian?

Notes Writer can import files from Google Drive. This at least allows having a “mobile notes” file on iOS to add reminders on the go that then later can be processed in Obsidian on desktop. Syncing back to Drive has to be done manually (two taps: Share --> Sync to G Drive).

Anyone has a better solution for iOS + Google Drive?

Don’t think Drafts can work with Obsidian’s vault. I looked into it a while ago and Drafts does not give you the option of specifying a root directory. I suppose you could move your vault to the iCloud Docs Drafts root but that seems like it’d be problematic as I don’t know what else Drafts does from a file and metadata perspective.

I tried and tested Syncthing on iOS and Android. On Android there are plethora of options really in terms of syncing, but still I tried Syncthing since I wanted to be ready for Obsidian App which is stated as “coming soon” and read somewhere that will be free to use if we can have our own syncing methods.

As for iOS, there is no official or free app that can do the syncing, but there is an app called Möbius Sync that works. Only catch is, its not free. Rest it works fine. The free version offers just 20MB sync which is okay for daily note capturing and sharing, but for complete vault sync, we need to shell out some money (I can’t right now – student and not sure about using it). I used it with Taio which is mentioned here quite a few times, and it works decently but no ‘wikilinks’ support. Basically, any editor can be used once the files are in the Files App, I guess.

Just wanted to share what I had tried at my level. I hope it helps somebody somewhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a helpful overview of what can work and what cannot be done right now. I’m on limited income, so a cheap or free mobile note solution for Android will sure help out a lot of folks. Thanks for looking into it, and I will keep watching this thread. Hopefully wiser heads know how to do it.

1 Like

For android, use any sync method (Syncthing, Drive or anything that syncs between your folders) and use Epsilon Editor. They both work fine. Epsilon settings can be modified to add a way to accept [[ | ]] syntax as well.

2 Likes

Is it something that only happens to me or is it something about Epsilon? I can’t open links to notes if the notes are inside folders.

A little embarrassing to admit in public but $30 is harder to justify for people that really have to watch their dollars. Especially as a mere accessory to Obsidian. But thank you for your report on a good experience. Everyone should know that IA Writer works well.

For those who haven’t yet decided how to access your Obsidian files on iPad or Android, there is an editor named spck.io. It can be used as a git client (both push and pull, free, any git service) which creates a copy of your repo(vault in this case) on the device (iOS or Android) and then you can use any editor of your choice or even SPCK.io itself. I have been using it for 2-3 days now, and it’s the best solution till now. Since, I mostly backup on github, its easy for me now to have a unified systems across my devices.

Hope it helps somebody.

PS. The other clients or ways cost money as of now, therefore I was searching for a way to have that kind of sync without involving cloud services. ( as for iCloud, I don’t have it everywhere other than iPad; drive does’t work well with iOS).

4 Likes

anybody try Textastic? is OSx, iPad & iOS—tho not free, the pricing seems not too bad…

I’ve been using Markdown Pro to access my my Obsidian notes stored on OneDrive. So far it’s been working okay. It’s slow to save files and then sometimes I get errors. I guess I’ll have to try something else.

iA Writer! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just started with Obsidian, but am familiar with Drafts. It can work with the Obsidian Vault as it does with everything else—by sending it the files made in Drafts. So Drafts can create plain text files and save them wherever you tell it. I just use Drafts on iPad and Mac and send to Obsidian Vault on the Mac. That way, my notes will live in Drafts and Obsidian both. I haven’t worked on an action to send a file to the Obsidian Vault yet, but will.[quote=“sandrop, post:227, topic:471, full:true”]
Don’t think Drafts can work with Obsidian’s vault. I looked into it a while ago and Drafts does not give you the option of specifying a root directory. I suppose you could move your vault to the iCloud Docs Drafts root but that seems like it’d be problematic as I don’t know what else Drafts does from a file and metadata perspective.
[/quote]

drafts seems quite powerful, but is rather awkward for me (just to dive in)—Textastic, Pretext & Taio seem more promising for ease of use, but i need to try them out more…

1 Like

Yea. Would be nice if there was a spreadsheet matrix. I still haven’t found an app that works for my setup.

5 Likes

Anyone knows of any iOS Markdown editor that supports the “==text==“ highlight syntax? I’m aware that iA Writer has this but it’s too expensive for me.

1Writer works great but you’ll need to use the ‘mark’ tag directly for highlight. For those who are familiar with 1Writer, feel free to prove me wrong because I prefer to stick with 1Writer if possible.

Looking at Notebooks: MultiMarkdown might be the thing I need but it seems that you need to surround everything with ‘{}’.

Can anyone here help with the Epsilon code suggested above. I inserted the lines and it does turn some of my links into links in Epsilon, but it seems that it looks for the files in the same directory as the main file and Obsidian apperently has placed the files a folder above. I’m sure there is a way to make that work, but I’m too noob to figure it out