How do I import a large MD file from MEM.AI

Hi,
I am looking to shift from MEM.AI to Obsidian.
The recent AI plugins have made my decision. More flexible. And I own my data.
MEM.AI is also very buggy.
So - when I export from MEM it exports one large MD file, containing all my notes. About 2 mb. How do import this so individual notes are broken down to individual markdown files.
I do not see a plugin for this.
Thanks in advance. The limited export capabilities in MEM have reinforced my decision, but I would like to keep some data.
I

I’d say your best bet would be a text editor like Notepad++. If each individual markdown file has their own titles as Heading1, you could use those for anchors.

Last year I was in a similar situation. I used VBA macros to break up my larger chunks of files by section breaks (I was converting docx files to txt files).

Try asking at StackOverflow as well (you could try incorporating Notepad++ in your question) and you may want to start learning regular expressions (they will come handy in the future).

My answer is vague because we don’t know anything about your files and your situation.

Your question is generally, how do you split a large MD file.

It completely depends on the format. Is there any kind of common delimiter or pattern in between each of your notes?

Maybe someone here is familiar with the Mem ai format. Otherwise we can only guess. Can you find a portion of your notes that you can paste here, to see? All you really need to share is a few lines above and below the point in between two notes.

If there is no clear pattern or delimiter character, then you might have some manual work to do, or make a request to Mem. :man_shrugging:

From a brief glance at their help, it sounds like you can also export in JSON format, which should have the structure you need to split the files. But you still might have to do some scripting.

2 Likes

Thanks for you answer.
Each ‘mem’ - which I’d like to be a separate file, is separated by

I was hoping for an off the shelf solution to the splitting or a MEM specific solution someone here would know of. Scripting it myself is beyond my technical abilities.

You need to surround code like that with backticks.

```
Example
```

The answer (which we can’t see) is that each note is separated by:

---
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.