How do I create note for future months in Periodic notes?

Things I have tried

What I’m trying to do

I like using the Periodic Notes plugin but can’t figure a way to create a note for a future month. I can use the calendar to create future daily notes or click on the week in the calendar for future weekly notes, but clicking on the month doesn’t do anything and I can’t find a commands either. Any help would be appreciated.

4 Likes

I’m confused about this as well. The github page for Periodic Notes says:

Note: This README has been preemptively updated in anticipation for v1.0. Not all features described here are available in the current stable release 0.0.17.

…so I went ahead and installed the beta.3, restarted Obsidian, but I’m not seeing the “Periodic Notes: Show date switcher…” or “Periodic Notes: open next weekly note” in the command pallet. These commands do show up under hotkeys, but nothing happens when assigned and used (I double checked the hotkeys weren’t previously assigned to anything.)

3 Likes

Exact same problem here. I don’t think it can be done, so I just make a copy of the current monthly note, then change the details for the future month. Not idea.

I’m sure it could be done with Templater, but that one’s a bit above my mental pay-grade at this point.

2 Likes

The (slightly buggy) behaviour I get with 1.0.0-beta.3 is that the 5 shortcuts “Open next X-ly note” for X = day, week, month, quarter, and year, all do the same thing: it just opens the next Z-ly note if you’re currently in an Z-ly note, and does nothing otherwise. But it seems like not a major issue. The date switcher can do most of the work, and the 5 “open today’s / this week’s … note” commands seem to always work, so it’s alright.

I wish the future commands create future notes.
The Readme says “Selecting an entry will open the existing note or create a new one if one does not exist.”

It works with today, but I wish I could create the note for tomorrow as well. “The open next daily note” does nothing, when I’m at the note from today. I can click on the next day on the calendar, but I use Obsidian mainly on my mobile phone; thus I would appreciate the ability to create a note for tomorrow with a shortcut and plan the next day ahead.

I usually create a month’s worth ahead of daily notes when I’m at my desktop. You can still click on the calendar to create them on your mobile phone, but it’s more awkward that way.

In command palette, the option for next Z-ly note is not showing. But, for pinning some commands in the command palette, Periodic Notes: Open next Z-ly note is available. And, even in the hotkeys I could see the command available.
I am using a shortcut key Ctrl+P to call some commands, wherein the periodic notes for creating a next Z-ly notes.
It would be better if the option is available in Command Palette (Ctrl+P) without pinning in the command palette.
I can adjust with the current application but it would be better if all commands are shown in Ctrl+P.

hi @warrick

you can use Templater plugin to achieve this

1. you can update your monthly note template note like below

1. set the monthly note template note for the monthly notes folder, within Templater settings

1. now, when you create a monthly note, you can toggle between previous month note and have an option to toggle to the future note or create one if doesn’t exist

also refer Templater plugin documentation for further customization

Note: if you are using dataview queries for monthly notes, that uses system file date,
you may have to update that query, so that it uses the file name

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.