Hover preview while holding a key to see the backlinks for the page link instead of the page preview itself

Use case or problem

For certain pages, like the daily notes, none of my useful content is actually in the page itself. I link to the daily notes from every page that I work on that day, so the backlinks are really where all of the action is! I’d love a way to quickly look through the backlinks for the page without having to open the page and then open the backlinks.

Proposed solution

Hover over a page ref while holding the option key to see the backlinks for that page in a preview window.

Current workaround (optional)

Manually opening the page and then looking at the backlinks.

Related feature requests (optional)

10 Likes

Yes, please! I was gonna post a feature request for this, and I’m glad one already exists.

This would be especially useful for pages that have not been created (yet). Their preview currently just offers a button to create the page, but a list of backlinks could significantly improve navigation without having to create dummy notes.

I would argue that this should not be hidden behind a special modifier key, but rather be an integral part of page previews. The popup could have a backlink icon (beside the currenlty existing link icon) to switch/scroll to the list of backlinks.

1 Like

I would also love this feature. I found a wonderful plugin called Influx (GitHub - jensmtg/influx: An alternative backlinks plugin, which displays relevant and formatted excerpts from notes with linked mentions, based on the position of mentions in the notes' hierarchical structure (bullet level indentation).) that basically serves as cleaner, formatted backlinks with context in the note body. It’s perfect for additive, accumulating notes on topics. Unfortunately, like the built-in backlink behavior, these aren’t visible through the hover preview of a note. Has anyone found a workaround for seeing backlinks on hover? This would make the plug-in and Obsidian incredibly useful.