Hotkey to Open Hotkey Edit Window and Markdown guide

Use case or problem

I am a new Obsidian user. It’s a keyboard-based system, so learning the hotkeys seems critically important for efficiency. Yet I have to shift to the mouse to open the Hotkey window and find out what hotkeys to use, or review markdown. I’d like it to be easy to quickly display and close the hotkey window, and a markdown review list, at a keystroke.

Proposed solution

Add a hotkey that opens the hotkey window, not just the settings window. Also, add a hotkey that opens a reference guide to markdown.

Current workaround (optional)

Related feature requests (optional)

3 Likes

I really think this is a good idea. As I thought of it as well but decided to search feature request to see if someone had requested it. As you have here is my input. Maybe a hotkey to open the menu, I would use ‘Ctrl + Z’ or one of my G keys on my Logitech keyboard. Here is a look at what it might look like

Features:
Sections for ‘All Hotkeys’, ‘Favorite Hotkeys’, and ‘Custom Hotkeys’ (like G key on some keyboards)

The All Hotkeys section will house all the hotkeys in Obsidian that have been mapped. The ’ Favorite Hotkeys’ section will show the hotkeys you have favorited, rather it is core hotkeys or custom hotkeys. The ‘Custom Hotkeys’ would be a section for adding the name of the keyboard key such as ‘G1’ or ‘M1’ on a keyboard and the shortcut name tied to it. Below is a mock-up of what it might look like.

More Features:

• Pushing any key will close the ‘Obsidian Hotkey’ window and bring you back to the note last active.
  • Option to control which hotkey sections are toggled on
  • Ability to toggle always on with hotkey, but with a smaller view in the sidebar or over the sidebar. Example: Ctrl + Z to open big Hotkey Sheet and Alt + Z to open sidebar always on.
  • This could have other information like markdown cheatsheet

I’m sure there are features I’m not considering for this core feature, but I’m sure others can add to the functionality. Thanks for your consideration, and please like this if you want to see this added.

Obsidian Sidebar Hotkeys - Always on unless toggled