Hide text from folder's display name in file explorer

I’ve been using Lithou’s lovely Coloured Folder Snippet which relies on the top level folders having names that begin with the numbers 0-9 and the letters A-F. I also appreciate how this keeps my folders sorted in the order I desire.

My plugin idea is to hide the beginning of top-level folder display names. The folder name on the file system would not change, just the display name in the file explorer. For example a folder named ‘100 - Journals’ would be displayed as ‘Journals’. Importantly, they would still be sorted by their full file name.

For me, this would go a long way to solve the File Explorer Custom Sort problem.

The user could indicate the text to be stripped off by means of regex or some other pattern matching.

I hope I explained this idea well enough! Please let me know if you have any questions, or if you know of some way to achieve this already. Thanks!

1 Like

I am looking for the same thing. Did you ever find a solution?

@sailKite wrote a css snippet for me to do essentially this but I believe the condition was that there be only one digit (I can’t remember). You can search discord for it in #appearance. I’d provide it for you but I deleted Discord and lost my snippets while doing vault maintenance.