Hide or Truncate URLs in Editor using CSS?

Thanks @Silver, sometimes I break my own expectations :laughing:

What is this wizardry? :open_mouth:

@death.au , can you work the same magic to provide a way to hide the # symbol in headings? The change in font size is enough for me to know it’s a heading, and I use a lot of headings, and I don’t like seeing hundreds of # in my editor. Waiting with bated breath…

1 Like

Sorry to keep you hanging @cobblepot, but this should be what you need:

.CodeMirror-code > :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-formatting-header {
  display:none;
}
2 Likes

No problem and many thanks, @death.au! I tried combining your two solutions to achieve two other looks but my css isn’t up to the task, apparently. If you are so inclined and have the time, I would love to see solutions for these (no obligation, obviously):

1. Remove all # symbols from headings but also add a single § to all headers - just one, regardless of heading level.
  2. Remove all # symbols from headings but also add a single § to first-level headings only–other headings get nothing.

This is actually pretty easy and simple to do.

In this example you’ll get H1 before the header, so just change content: to content: "§ ".

2 Likes

I’ll also add that if you’re looking to do this in the editor, the selectors will be .cm-header-1::before for the H1 or .cm-header::before for all headers.

So, in summary:

}
.CodeMirror-code > :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-header::before {
  content: "§ ";
}

(and if you want just H1s instead of all headers, use .cm-header-1 instead of .cm-header)
This is just for the editor, and untested

2 Likes

hey @death.au thanks for that great code, I used your code as the foundations for this css hack I made

# replaced by §

This is the project I’m working on based on your code:

Org-sidian Bullets ◉ Instead Of # For Headers (Inspired by org-mode)

There’s a strange bug I can’t seem to fix, could you please take a quick look at it

Some headings get the symbols repeated in a strange way

It happens to normal text sometimes

but the bug I can always replicate is when I do something like this:

I create a normal heading

# [[test heading]]

Instead of displaying this
§ [[test heading]]

it displays this
§ [[§ test heading§ ]]

I’m using your code exactly as is, with a blank obsdian.css to make sure nothing from my theme interferes.

I would really appreciate any help, since my css hack fully depends on this.

Thank you!

Without looking too deeply into it, I think it’s probably because a heading with a link gets split up into multiple spans with formatting, etc.
You might try adding :first-child to the selector to see if that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @death.au, really appreciate it , unfortunately I wasn’t able to use :first-child without breaking things.

If you got a change would you be willing to help me take a quick look to see what’s wrong

I tried to use something like nth-child() but wasn’t able to make it work either

Here’s the code, it’s pretty much the same as your (plus margins) I just define it in the same way for all the remaining heading sizes

}
  /* heading 1 */
  .CodeMirror-code > :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-header-1::before {
  margin-right: 8px;
  content: "◉";
  }
  /* heading 2 */
  .CodeMirror-code > :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-header-2::before {
  margin-left: 10px;
  content: "○";
  }

I understand you are busy, so no worries if you can’t, but it would mean a lot if you got a chance to take look at it.
Thanks!

Sorry it took me a while to get around to this, @santi but I did manage to come up with a solution:

.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-formatting-header {
  display: none;
}

/* heading 1 */
.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-formatting-header+.cm-header-1::before {
}

/* heading 2 */
.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-formatting-header+.cm-header-2::before {
}

The trick is .cm-formatting-header+.cm-header-1 so it only targets the .cm-header-1 span that comes directly after the .cm-formatting-header span. Since headers (usually) only have their formatting symbol at the start, this should be fine.

Though the above won’t work with Setext-Style headers (the other style of markdown headers) where you put the formatting underneath… for example:

This is a h1
===

This is a h2
---

But In that case, the first-child thing works! So, for completeness sake:

/* heading 1 */
.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-formatting-header+.cm-header-1::before,
.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-header-1:first-child::before {
}

/* heading 2 */
.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-formatting-header+.cm-header-2::before,
.CodeMirror-code> :not(.CodeMirror-activeline) .cm-header-1:first-child::before {
}

… It’s possible I spend too much time working on things that really don’t matter. Especially since Obsidian’s default theme seems to not like links in Setex-style headers:

1 Like

Thank you so much @death.au I really appreciate it, it works perfectly. I get you, I don’t use “Setex-style headers” but still thanks for including code for it!

I’ll update the code here if anyone else is interested in the full code for all headers

Org-sidian Bullets ◉ Instead Of # For Headers (Inspired by org-mode)

Thanks once again @death.au I was really stuck with it, it means a lot!

1 Like

Might you have anymore wisdom to share? How do I hide the brackets / parenthesis [ ] ( ) that wrap each link?

Maybe I’m missing something and there is already a way to do this with a community plugin? I checked out Advanced Obsidian URL and Advanced Appearance but those don’t seem to do what I desire…

Thanks for this tweak! Beautiful.

Is there a way to do the same for nested tags that are long and for attachments like PDF?

Hide the Title of the note from a heading link @moderators

Currently

• [[Note1#Heading 1]] is being displayed as Note1>Heading 1

What i want

• [[Note1#Heading 1]] as Heading1

Current work around

• [[Note1#Heading1|Heading1]] is being displayed as Heading 1
  • Using regex expression in Notepad++ or using Sed commands in linux
    • Notepad++
      • Find: (#)(.+)(]])
      • Replace: \1\2|\2\3

Problem with current solution

• but the above soulution need us to use “| parameter” syntax which is sometimes cumbersome to use and track
  • In editor mode, link becomes too long and takes too much space on screen

A CSS based solution

• Kindly replay whether there a solution using CSS
  • Hide or Truncate - Internal Heading Url - Similar to this CSS hack

Works so well, and so simple to setup even for a css noob like myself. (just create a text file with .css extension in the snippet directory)

Thank you!

Really useful code thank you. Any idea how to implement strikethrough formatting on checklists in editor mode? (Like they function in preview)

Hi! Tell me how to make links containing the Cyrillic alphabet work?
2021-09-28_124921

@Antinik62 Apparently, the problem here is not the Cyrillic letters, but the closing parenthesis ) as part of the URL. In this case you should enclose the entire URL in angle brackets <...> like this:

[Description](<URL>)

Is there a way to make this work with wikipedia.org to show just (🔗)?