Help (plzz): Transition from remnote to Obsidian

Hey Steiner!

I’ve used python3 -V in terminal, and it showed the right version. That was a simple fix… ahaha

However, I’m facing another issue (dang it…). This is my folder (directory from github):

I changed directory (cd), and ran the code, but it tells me:

I’m now questioning if I should even carry on with this coding process. I’d like to see the end result (if it works), but if I really run out of options, I might just resort to copy pasting…

It looks like this script might have some dependencies that aren’t documented in the README.md. It’s not really packaged for distribution, so you need to problem solve a little to be able to run somebody elses script that they might still me developing.

It seems like you have to install some python packages, like dateutil to be able to run the script successfully. You can install dateutil, and other python packages you might need, from the command line in the terminal by using the pip command: pip install python-dateutil

I downloaded dateutil and finally ran the script sucessfully!!!

However, I’ve had no success with getting the file actually converted… It created this folder:

It’s the exact same as the test file!

I don’t know if it is the original rem.json file or if it’s an issue with the script. I’ll try exporting remnote json file for individual folders and see if it’s work.

I want to thank @steinar for helping me through this process. I would have never known, not even in my dreams, to use dateutil, download new python, problem solve this script or anything that you’ve helped me with!

I’ll send an updated post after trying the script on individual folders~

Did you have any luck? Hopefully you just need to get the script to pick up the right data (by either running the script from the right folder/with the right folder structure, or by modifying the script to select the right file). The sample vault is probably used for testing the script, and when you ran the script it must have run it on the sample vault instead of your vault. This might be a line of code in the script, or just because of the relative paths of the files and the script.

@seankim641 did you end up successfully migrating? I’m looking to migrate as well a huge remnote database

Short answer: No, and I don’t plan on trying to.

I’ve honestly given up on moving the remnote database (since the links and notes are overall insufficient). I guess I could continue trying, but I decided that it wouldn’t be quite worth it. The notes are not that good in the first place.

However, if you do need to migrate all the information, I honestly don’t have an answer. If you do find an alternative or find a way to make this work, could you please send me a message in this thread?

Wish you all the best in finding a method!

2 Likes

Hi @seankim641

Have you tried just exporting your knowledge base as markdown (see screenshot) and opening the unzipped folder in Obsidian?

I just tried it, It mostly works except for some backlinks and the spaced repetition cards of course. I think some issues could be fixed with Regex search-and-replace.

PS: I think that the github script does not work anymore with the current version of RemNote as it was last updated in October 2021.

Sorry, it’s of course with “include hidden children” toggled.

After getting to know Obsidian better, I think it’s impossible to have a script that converts a RemNote Knowledge Base to an Obsidian Vault for everyone.

Every RemNote user has a different workflow and uses a different subset of features in a different manner. The features do not map 1:1 to Obsidian Features. For the spaced repetition for example, there are multiple plugins with and without export to Anki, and they all have different syntax for cards. So after migrating to Obsidian, everyone will have a new workflow and subset of needed features and plugins.

I gave up migrating once and for all. I startet a new, clean vault and I will migrate slowly, exporting one by one into markdown and copy-pasting into Obsidian, trashing what I don’t need anymore. In the meantime, all new notes of course go into the Obsidian vault.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.