Heading Block Reference doesn't update when heading updates

Things I have tried

searched forum

What I’m trying to do

I’m using block references very often, but a huge problem is that when I later go back into a document and update the heading (which is often), the page that references it doesn’t update like it does when you change the page title.

The heading link is then broken and clicking it takes you to the top of the page which defeats the whole idea. Also the preview of that heading reference is empty.

This undoes a ton of work put in and it is difficult to track and change every heading reference every time I change heading.

Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

R

3 Likes

I use block linking—using #^ rather than #—to link to a heading, maintaining the link even if the heading itself is edited.

[[file name#^d13f45]]

not

[[file name#heading]]

Not elegant, perhaps, but it works.

thanks… I used to use that until I saw that the heading was far more useful for my purposes and I’d hate to lose that functionality. I’d rather keep it and deal w/ all the broken links, but hoping this is something that is fixable.

1 Like

This is actually possible since June of last year. You will have to right click the heading and select Rename this heading. It will then also update the links. As far as I know, the developers have decided to implement it like this, because otherwise the program would have to constantly watch for changes of headers and that would slow Obsidian down considerably.

5 Likes

Here’s the related feature request, as I said probably not going to happen anytime soon if at all. It doesn’t hurt to add your support for it though.

2 Likes

Oh my, oh my, oh my. THANK YOU. :clap:

https://forum.obsidian.md/t/obsidian-release-v0-12-14/23046

1 Like

Crossing fingers, gave the post a heart, but how does one upvote? what’s the best way to show support?

You already did the right thing by liking the topic, it’s the preferred method. If you have something to add to the discussion you can of course do that too, it’s a forum after all :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.