I have a note with a table in it and some text underneath that. The note has no headings, text and no metadata at the top. It starts with the table. When I started typing --- to start the YAML block above the tale Obsidian hung. I quit a reloaded and reproduced this several times. The only way out of it was to edit the note in another editor (BBEdit) and add the metadata. After that it was fine.
Should just be able to add lines of anything above the table.
Operating system: Mac OS 12.1
This was the dev console error:
app.js:1 RangeError: Invalid change range 591 to 2 (in doc of length 11530) at e (app.js:1) at e (app.js:1) at Function.t.of (app.js:1) at t.transaction (app.js:1) at t.e.newlineAndIndentOnly (app.js:1) at shift (app.js:1) at c (app.js:1) at gc (app.js:1) at Object.keydown (app.js:1) at e.runCustomHandlers (app.js:1) at HTMLDivElement.<anonymous> (app.js:1) at HTMLDivElement.e (eval at <anonymous> (app.js:1), <anonymous>:333:36332)
Happy to supply the note file directly to the developers. I can’t post it publicly here.
Sorry, somehow missed this. It does happen with the Help vault. I tried a different table and it still happens. I can’t get the debug info because it hangs bad enough to just freeze Obsidian so badly, in fact, that I can no longer open the Help vault. I just get a blank window.
This is, by the way, in Source mode in the Editor.
It freezes as soon as you type --- and then again as you try and write any metadata and then again when you try to close the metadata with ---. On a small note or vault, it’s a freeze of several seconds. On larger vaults it seems to really hang.
The dev panel in Obsidian/Chrome is a UI nightmare. Can you give me a few more specifics about what you’re after? I ran the performance recording and saved the attached profile.
In the Issues pane I get this:
Audit usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform
A page or script is accessing at least one of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform. Starting in Chrome 101, the amount of information available in the User Agent string will be reduced.
To fix this issue, replace the usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform with feature detection, progressive enhancement, or migrate to navigator.userAgentData.
Note that for performance reasons, only the first access to one of the properties is shown.
In one of the cells insert a large amount of text (I had 1598 characters)
Anywhere above the table, try to type the string “—” (3 dashes)
I am able to type out the string “—”
The desktop app crashes and has to be restarted.
Obsidian version: v1.1.16
Installer version: v0.15.9
Operating system: Windows 10 Pro 10.0.22000
Login status: not logged in
Insider build toggle: off
Live preview: on
Legacy editor: off
Base theme: dark
Community theme: none
Snippets enabled: 0
Restricted mode: on
You’re also strongly recommended to re-install your Obsidian to get a newer installer version. It might not fix this issue, but that installer version is ancient, and you’re lacking other features due to it.
I’ve been able to reproduce this bug occasionally. Not within the sandbox, and not without community plugins turned off. So my best guess is that maybe the OP had the Advanced table plugin running before turning of community plugins, and that it’s the cause of the hick-up.
That what was I was thinking when I looked into this thingy, as well. So here’s a workaround for you @Centurion , and that is before you add the triple dashes, add a random letter at the very top of the page, so that Obsidian doesn’t even consider trying to parse it as YAML/frontmatter.
Then add the two lines with triple dashes (after the random letter), and then when both lines (and potentially some fields) are in place, you can remove that random letter.
Do it just happened again for me. I’m not sure it is the Advanced Tables plugins because I have two different vaults using that plug-in and one has this bug the other does not. It hangs so bad I can’t get anything from the inspector.