Handle your meeting notes with ease

Here’s a showcase of what I’m about to share with you. A somewhat simple process, true, but pretty and elegant.

meeting-workflow-obsidian-cropped

Template for triggering a new meeting

When you’re in a daily note, you can trigger a new meeting with a shortcut Ctrl+E (or other if you changed templater hotkeys).

Here’s the template’s code:

<%*

let type, name, topic, held
held = tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD")
topic = "o "
type = await tp.system.suggester(["with a specific person", "meeting with a custom name", "no specific people nor names"], ["with a specific person", "meeting with a custom name", "no specific people nor names"], false, "What kind of meeting it was?")

if (type == "with a specific person") name = await tp.system.prompt("What was their first and second name?", "with ", true, false)
else if (type == "meeting with a custom name") name = await tp.system.prompt("What was the meeting called then?", "", true, false)
else if (type == null || type == "no specific people nor names") name = "" 

topic = await tp.system.prompt("What was the meeting about?", "about ", true, false)
if (topic == "about ") topic = ""

let final_name = name
if (name.length > 0) final_name += " "

let triggered_date = tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", 0, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD")
if (held != triggered_date) {
	if (await tp.system.prompt("You triggered this meeting in a note from " + triggered_date + ". Do you want to use this date instead of today's? y / ESC", false, false, false) == "y") held = triggered_date
}

final_name += topic + " - " + held

tR += "!\[\[" + final_name + "\]\]"
tp.file.create_new(tp.file.find_tfile("new meeting"), final_name, true, app.vault.getAbstractFileByPath("meetings"))

%>

Template for new meeting note

The template you triggered from your daily note creates a new note for you. This note is pre-filled based on another template, which I called new meeting.md - you might want to keep this name or refactor the code above if you don’t.

---
tags: type/meeting
held: <% tp.date.now("YYYY-MM-DD", 0, tp.file.title, "YYYY-MM-DD") %>
---
> [!summary]
> **key teams**::
> **key people**::
> **other key links**::

End result might look like this from your daily note:

13 Likes

I love this, thanks for sharing. How can I have the new note title begin with the ‘held’ date? I’ve tried moving it around the code, but to no good effect…

@Jeffurry : "How can I have the new note title begin with the ‘held’ date? "

Hi. Change this:

final_name += topic + " - " + held

Into this:

final_name = held + " - " + final_name + topic

1 Like

Nice one. Many thanks

I tried using this but when inserting the items in the modal popup I get this error:

Is there a way to work around it?

What title do your Daily notes have? Is it YYYY-MM-DD.md or something else?

Hi,
first of all thank you for your nice templates!

I’ve come across the same error as madspooky.

The error happens, when the final note from new meeting.md is created. More specifically it seems to be held in the meta fields. Sometimes it works e.g. if the generated filename is “XYZ-Lunchtalk - 2023-04-12”. However it didn’t worked for the filename “Project WP3 Meeting - 2023-04-12”. I guess templater can’t extract the date of the last filename. Any ideas how to solve this?

Hello,

I love this template so far but I do have a question. I am entering summary details and such with the template you provided, however, below that I am going into more detailed context about what was discussed or learned during the meeting. Is there a way to get my daily note to only include the summary aspect of the meeting and not the entire document?

I am also wondering if there is a way with this template to show all meetings on my weekly/monthly notes that would also only contain the summaries.